Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply not working, i think

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:33 AM

ok. so i bought this new case with a 450 watt power supply and the case has some led lights and fans already installed. so i tried to test the lights and fans by only hooking them up to the power supply but nothing happens. the power supply doesn't even turn on (but does the supply have to power something to turn on?) BTW the power supply has 2 switches one is red and reads 115v on one side and 230v on the other and the other switch is black and just has a - (dash) and a o (circle), not sure what they mean. You can read about the case at www.xionusa.com and its the xion 1 case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:19 AM

I would suspect the power supply needs to be plugged into a mobo for it to power the fans and led's.

#3 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:35 AM

That is quite correct, a modern ATX PWRsupply has to be plugged in to a motherboard as there is a feedback circuit that completes the circuit back to the power supply and allows it to output DC power to the motherboard.
Without that completed circuit the supply will not allow power out of the DC bus.

The older AT supplies would generate DC the moment ya plugged them in.

Hope this helps some.

#4 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:49 AM

Yeah, once i tried it on a few outlets i was beginning to think that too. Oh well, guess i'll have to wait then, but thanks for the quick help. It was really nice to have an answer from 2 people in less than 8 hours after i posted my problem.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:01 PM

You never want to power up a power supply with no drives attached. There needs to be a load on the power supply for it to function correctly and it can be damaged. At least one drive should be hooked up to it. Some power supplies have an internal load to compensate for this, but it's a good rule of thumb to have a load on a power supply - this does not include LEDs, which would not have enough load to count.

The 115/230 switch is in case you want to use it in other countries. In the US, you use the 115. Do not experiment.

The switch with the straight line and the 0 is the power switch - on or off. A few power supplies don't have it, but most do. When working on an ATX motherboard, you must have the power supply unplugged to prevent shorting something since ATX motherboards are always powered up when plugged in and turned on, even if the computer is "shut down."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users