Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Laptop Building

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

Alright, so, my mom told her friend that I build computers. I have only built one and it was a desktop.

Now her friend is asking me to build her a laptop with wireless capabilities. All I need to know is, how much more (or less) difficult is it to build a laptop as compared to a desktop. How difficult it is to implement wireless, and where to get the parts.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:14 PM

You really don't build laptops. No standardized parts (motherboards, cases etc.) make it tough.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:12 PM

alright, ill let her know, thanks

#4 Totty

Totty

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

What you could do is recommend several decent models and offer to help get her set-up on her new laptop when it arrives.

First figure out her budget and her usage plan (e.g hardcore gaming vs light websurfing) and then from there start researching laptops.
OS: 1. Slackware Linux........................... 2. Windows XP Home Edition
Mobo: Asus P5N-D.................................GFX : Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 512MB
CPU : Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.6GHz........... RAM : 2GB DDRII Coirsair Twinx
HDD1: Maxtor 80GB SATA II Hard drive.............HDD2: Western Digital 40GB IDE
Case: Antec Gamer 300 case.......................PSU : Corsair HX620 620W - Modular

#5 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

haha, already one step ahead of you =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users