Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD to MOBO sata connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tsquared56

tsquared56

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

So I was getting ready to upgrade both my PSU and my GPU the other day. Opened up the case, and unplugged the mobo, mobo fan, everything from the PSU. The last one was the hard drive. When I did that, the smaller sata(I think) cable that runs from the hard drive to the mobo came out as well. When I tried to put it back in, it wouldn't "click" despite it having a latch. It comes out and goes in with minimal effort. Is it normal for it to be that loose?

I naturally panicked and hooked everything back together and rebooted, and everything worked fine. Also of note, the way my machine is oriented puts the power connections on the top side of the drive. So at least I'll have gravity on my side. I was afraid I damaged pins but since it worked fine, is it safe to treat it as actually fine? Should I replace the cable? Do anything? Should it be safe to go ahead and upgrade the power supply?

And on a related note - perhaps this isn't the proper place to ask, but I'd like to consolidate posts here - the back of my hard drive has a sata power connection, the troubled connection to the mobo, and also what appears to be a 4 pin molex connection. Can I just, if the new PSU has the right cord, use the molex connector instead of the sata connector for power? I think that way I won't have to risk working directly next to the loose "data"(for lack of a better term) connection.

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

There's nothing wrong with using the Molex connector for power and SATA for data. RE the loose connection: Try another cable. I have several and I've seen the loose fit problem many times over the years - a different cable usually fixes the problem.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

No answers, just wanted to add that I have decided to forego the standard cables which come with SATA drives...for the kind that lock.

This week, I have experienced a number of "disk controller" errors in Event Viewer and other minor anomalies...and I've decided that it's the loose-fitting SATA cables that are the cause of these things.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users