Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

main.exe/CPU usage/XP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dec23

dec23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:49 AM

I have main.exe in Task Manager - CPU usage is high-ish i.e. CPU is low and stable then peaks at times to over 50%.
Have googled this and cannot determine if it is harmful or not. There is some reference to SpyCop but I can find no instance of this programme on the computer.
I have searched for main.exe and cannot locate it on the machine.
The computer had Norton on which didn't flag it up and Avast hasn't either.
Malwarebytes and SAS has detected other issues but not this one. Spywaredoctor didn't find anything relevant to this problem.
Just trying AD-Aware.
I don't want to stop the process unless I know 100% that it is problematic. The other thing is that I can't remove it if I can't find it!
Now that I have taken Norton off and cleaned the machine up it is working very well indeed and there is no obvious sign of infection.
If anyone can advise would be very grateful.

Please ignore question - have now solved it.

Edited by dec23, 23 December 2009 - 12:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users