Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search engine results redirecting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jane54

Jane54

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:52 AM

For the past several days, I've been trying to get rid of some spyware that is redirecting my browser when I click on a link.
I have a Laptop with XP OS
I have MacAfee Security Center installed which updates daily

Three days ago, a MacAfee scan found 2 trojans in my Local Settings/Temp folder, Generic.dx!iip, Generic.dx!iip
A second scan found nothing further.

Then I ran Malwarebytes which found Hijack.Shell in HKEY_Local_MACHINE/SOFTWARE_Micorsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version...

Over the past few days I have repeatedly run Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, HouseCall and MacAfee but have turned up no further items. The browser is still being redirected from from both Google and Yahoo. It is happening in IE and in FFox.

I discovered HijackThis which I Installed. While on that site, I read about RUBotted which I also installed yesterday. Today, it gave me a bot warning and I ran HouseCall from the TrendMicro Site which found Troj_Ambler.smz in the Local Settings/ Temp Internet folder for another computer user who has not been on this computer for weeks.

Can you help me get rid of the spyware that has taken over my search engine. Grateful for any help.

Thank you.

Edited by Jane54, 23 December 2009 - 04:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jane54

Jane54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:56 AM

Since posting above, I changed to AVG software and a it found Vundo.JD. Even though it got rid of the trojan, it kept reappearing in subsequent scans. I switched to Trend Micro which did not find the Vundo at all. Neither did MacAfee, earlier. Is this something only AVG seems to "discover?" Just wondering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users