Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Welcome screen missing users, showing *the* Administrator

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ojchase

ojchase

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:36 AM

This may be multiple problems, but I'm thinking they're all directly related so I'm leaving it in one thread. I had previously used TweakUI for XP, 2.10, to hide a couple users from the Welcome screen as well as set mine to Auto Logon. That's as far as I know for sure before today. Then, my mind is vaguely recalling some other (third-party) program I ran into that was similar. And that disabled those users even more...I think...end speculation

Today, I realized I need to re-enable one user. So I pulled up TweakUI and the user wasn't even mentioned there, on the Logon settings page that has options like "Show [user] on the Welcome Screen". So I pulled up User Accounts, and, sure enough, the user isn't shown in there either. My only options are my user, Guest, and Administrator. (And I'm pretty sure that is *the* administrator, the one you should only be able to get to through Safe Mode... Again, I have the nagging feeling I enabled it in non-safe-mode somewhere along the line, maybe at the same time.) Meanwhile, the missing users still have all kinds of stuff in the Documents and Settings folder, so I really don't think the users are completely gone.

Also, by pulling up Command Prompt, I did the "net user [username] /active:yes" trick on one of the missing users, and got "the command completed successfully". (Still doesn't show on Welcome Screen) Trying to do the same thing with a madeup username gave me "The username could not be found. More help is available by typing net helpmsg 2221.". That told me to just type "net user" to get a list of users, and the missing ones are listed. So something in Windows knows the users still exist. I just managed to hide them to the point that neither TweakUI nor the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel detect them.

I'm on XP Home, so I don't have access to that Local Users and Groups area in Computer Management.

So then there's this Administrator account that shows on the Welcome Screen. As I said before, I'm pretty sure this is *the* Administrator account, and I asked for it there once upon a time. Certainly, it hasn't been on the computer since I bought it several years back, and I highly doubt I would have created a user by that name for the fun of it. Now, I want to undo that, without risking really tampering with the account (ie, still work in safe mode). I've heard TweakUI is supposed to do enable it using a "show administrator on welcome screen" option on the same Logon screen. That option is missing, just as with the other usernames.

So I need to reenable one of the missing accounts, and safely disable the administrator. If anyone has any ideas as to what I did in the first place to cause these problems, that would be helpful too. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users