I'm having the same issue recently described by user ebrian (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=280611&hl=redirect+virus).
I, too, normally research and dig to find solutions, but I can't seem to solve this without some help. Thanks in advance.
ebrian described the problem(s) well:
"a [browser] redirect to weird search sites when clicking on links in Google search. ...on Firefox that extra tabs would open up, and it always seemed to be the same ones...pretty random."
Also, when clicking many Google search results (a good number but not all), I am "redirected to another site, often another search engine. Often times I instead get a bogus virus warning I cannot get out of without killing the internet connection via Task Manager."
Some other info:
- I'm running Windows XP Home
- I'm a Firefox user with pop-up blocking enabled
- I'm running MSFT Security Essentials & have real-time protection on
- I've run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which found spyware & other threats that I removed
- I've run Spybot - Search & Destroy, which found spyware & other threats that I removed
Kindly let me know how to proceed. Should I download HijackThis & list a log?
Thanks in advance & happy holidays!
Edited by zylauren, 23 December 2009 - 02:04 AM.