Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 compunerd

compunerd

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

Hi all,

I've been getting WinXP updates installed on my computer everytime I shut it down for about the last 2 months now. I'm wondering if this is legit or do I have some sort of malware? My computer is ok otherwise. I've been also getting these Microsoft software error reporting boxes for the same amt of time too. I don't know if these 2 issues could be connected, somehow. Thoughts?

Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

Do you have Defender? That updates all the time. You could check your update history at the Microsoft Update website.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:08 AM

If your system is set to download updates automatically but not install them automatically, they accumulate and you will be reminded about it at shutdown. If you choose to install, they should install and that will be that.

You can read how it works here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

I like to visit the MS WWW site once in a while using Internet Explorer (that part I don't like) and check the Tools, Windows Update and let it do it's thing using the Custom Update button and see what it reports about my current situation and make appropriate choices. Appropriate choices does not mean you have to update everything it offers. If you are not sure, ask.

It tells you what your current situation is and lets you change your settings, the feedback is better, you can see what is going on, decide what you want and don't want or never to hear about again. I told it never to remind me about IE8 again because I don't use IE except for this purpose, so don't care to upgrade - there is nothing in IE8 I need! Just because MS thinks you need something doesn't necessarily mean you do.

If your system seems to want to update every day, something is probably not quite right so visit the MS site and do a manual update and see what is going on and get yourself all caught up with the things you need/want. It might take some time to let it figure things out so be patient.

Edited by joseibarra, 23 December 2009 - 09:10 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 compunerd

compunerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

I believe I have finally solved my own issue. The daily updates was MS .NET 1.1 trying to install but couldn't(KB953297).
So I removed all .NET versions according to how Louis sad to do this. The 1.1 hotfix wouldn't uninstall, so I used the .NET cleanup tool to remove it. Then I installed the .NET 3.5 SP1 and did the automatic updates and now, no updates when I shut down.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

FWIW: The hotfixes don't normally have to be removed, just the main installations of MS.NET Framework and the ensuing SPs.

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users