Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newb here lol

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dorklance

Dorklance

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:34 PM

i want to lean more about Linux OS. but i have windows on my note book. Is there anyway i can run Both OS on my notebook? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ody

ody

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

Yes, it's called dual booting.

http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

p.s. nice member id :thumbsup:

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:46 AM

Try Puppy Linux. It boots from a CD and if you have at least 256mb RAM It can be setup not to put anything on your HD.
Burn an ISO image to a CD/DVD , insert it in the drive, reboot, and in about 1 minute Puppy linux is running. If you have a burner on the computer you are running it on, it will make a multi session disk of the boot disk and save any changes or prefernces you make. The program is only 60 meg, and to go back to windows you just take the cd out and reboot. If you need the CD/DVD just remove the disk after boot. It runs totally in RAM.
Oh yeah you can install on a hard drive if you really want to.

Puppy Forum

Puppy Home Page
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 JustAFriend

JustAFriend

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

Try this page:
http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html