Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Limit Bandwidth To Others Computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

Situation;

I want to limit the speed of the internet to others computer. I have 3 computers in total, 2 desktop and 1 wireless laptop. When i play game. The others computer in use start giving me some lag to my connection and some slow downs when they watch a video. I have a router. The product is D-Link WBR-1310. I went to http://192.168.0.1/ and there is no option to limit bandwidth to each computer. So i wonder if there is a possible way to limit others computer bandwidth? Such as an application?

I have 3 computer and 2 of them are connected to the router and 1 is wireless laptop. I cannot manage to limit their internet speed nor able to block any access. Is there a possible way to limit their internet speed through an application?

If there is an application that does the job very well and highly good one. Please mention it in your post. I am looking forward any application and willing to pay for one and hopefully soon and a working one.

Thank you

Edited by EdDyWuu, 22 December 2009 - 08:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

Do give this thread a read: Bandwidth limiting
Also note the list of bandwidth management tools that have been mentioned there.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 22 December 2009 - 08:30 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

There are only a couple ways to do this: 1) build yourself a router with an old PC and 2 NICs. 2) Buy a router that can do what you need, most business type routers will do this. Altho Cisco does make a series of routers that run their IOS and are directed more for more serious home networkers. As you would guess they are more expensive. A linksys router cost $70 or less while the Cisco routers I am taking about is $160+ and I mean + lol.

CCProxy might do what you want on an old PC.

There are templates out there that will get you REALLY close to what you want to do with the Cisco routers. You'd just have to do a little research on how to do Bandwidth shaping in the Cisco IOS.

In the end, there is no simple way to do it =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

Are there any software that does the job? Any recommended software instead of buying a new router?

And my D link WBR-1310 doesnt support QoS :/

Edited by EdDyWuu, 22 December 2009 - 09:54 PM.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

I don't think so.
You'll need to configure the router to do that.

Did you read through the above article?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

To do what you are talking about, it has to be done before the distribution point of your network. Which is at your router.

What would any software do? Think about it. You want to limit or distribute the bandwidth evenly to all on your network. If the connection goes: from a modem that is connected to a router then gets distributed to the PCs on your network, wired and wireless, where is this software going to go? The only place it can, on the router. QoS might do what you need but I don't think it will do it to the level you are looking for. So as I laid out there are 2 options: buy an expensive router or build your own.

A 3rd option is go into the router and shut off their connection, but if I were your roommate you'd do that once then I'd kick your ass but that's me lol.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 23 December 2009 - 05:00 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

I see thanks for the detailed answer :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users