Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Wireless Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MorrisLa

MorrisLa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

I hope I'm am asking this in the correct area.

I have a remote cabin, with generator for power, I would like to operate a lap top there off of cell tower internet signal. The problem is I only get 2 bars of signal on a cell phone there, so signal is weak at best.
My question is does anyone know of any type of signal booster I could buy to increase the signal, it would not be a problem mounting it on tower/ pole outside if need be.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:32 AM

There are 'cantennas' which concentrate the broadcast into a tighter beam. You can either buy or manufacture them using plans found on the Internet. There must be direct line of sight for it to be effective.

#3 MorrisLa

MorrisLa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

Thanks nkfro, I checked and will give it a try.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

Better than a Cantenna would be Biquad Dish antenna these are FAR superior to the older cantenna. There not difficult to build the hard part is finding an old dish to use. I found mine by calling apartment complexes and rental units to see if they had any left over from tennants they usually give them to you if you remove them. You can adjust the receiver frequency by adjusting the length of the antenna (far outside my expertise though). You should be able to boost your signal quite well with this as they have "beamed" an 802.11g signal several miles.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 MorrisLa

MorrisLa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

Thanks to you also Sneakycyber, now I have another option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users