Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Wireless Thing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Xun468

Xun468

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

So, my computer has a wireless connection to my dads downstairs. For somereason it has always been weak, even though my brother's computer right next to mine always had "strong" reception. Well, recently it has started going crazy, turning off and on, BUT it only affects my games and browser. Im still able to use my IM, and can still send/receive messages, etc, even when the thing in the bottom clearly says "you are not connected". Uh, wtf?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

You are connected through his PC? or the router is just downstairs?

There are so many factors that can effect wireless that its not funny. Even if your brother's is right beside yours a number of things could effect your signal that doesn't his.

What type of wireless "device" do you have installed? PCI? USB dongle? USB cabled? Of the 3 I like the UCB cabled cause you can move the device around to find the best place to get a signal. My idea on wireless is get the devices as high as you can so the signal can be broadcast as wide as possible.

Now as far as while it says not connected and yet messaging works, no idea lol. Anytime I have a wireless issue I remove from Device manager, uninstall any programs and reboot. The install a fresh copy of everything.

I also stopped using the wireless software and use Windows Zero Config. to do the connecting for me.

When this happens open a command prompt and try pinging google or something. Do they go through?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Xun468

Xun468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

Uhm, according to the pictures, i use a PCI, I'm sorry I'm not to great with hardware XD. I use the windows wireless software that comes with the computer for my wireless software. Im not sure how to ping, the only thing i know about it is when I'm playing games the number being large is not good.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

To ping in XP - Click Start -> click Run -> type cmd and hit Enter -> in the box that pops up type ping www.google.com and hit Enter

to ping in Vista - Click Start -> in the search bar type command -> in the list find Command prompt(prolly the only thing listed) -> right click Command prompt and click Run as admin. The rest is the same as above.

As for how to do the rest I need to know what version of windows you have. And the make and model number of the PCI wireless card.

And that might explain the poor reception you are getting but we'll deal with that.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Xun468

Xun468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

Ok, I have a Windows XP professional sp3 with a D-link WDA 2320 Desktop adapter, and ping goes though normally, and I'll wait for it to start disconnecting/reconnecting again to try again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users