Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ugh! email problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Piney

Piney

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

Hubby has a purchased email address that also gives him web site etc. Two days ago, I wanted to email him an IM convo I'd had with one of the grandkids. It was returned as undeliverable. The error read:

reason: 504 <eng-prv>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname)
----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mx.******.net.:thumbsup:<<<I removed his name)
>>> DATA
<<< 504 <eng-prv>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
<<< 554 Error: no valid recipients

At first I thought nothing of it, as that server is kind of hinky at best. Happened to mention the return to hubby and he said his email #'s were way down from usual, and that he tried emailing himself just to check. He uses Outlook Express to poll for email but can go to the web2web page to check for mail. The test mail he sent to himself showed in the 'sent' folder of OLE, but never arrived. He went to the web page, and nothing was there. I called our ISP techs, they checked everything out with me, even sent email to him email addy, ( tech used same @ as my email) and it arrived without problem. I sent email from my account again, they 'saw' it being sent, but it didn't arrive, instead it was returned with the same above error.

I used his myanything or whatever it is called server support board, got back an email that said using our ISP as the outgoing (SMTP) was incorrect, and to change the port as well. Of course that didn't work. Changed it all back. Some mail comes in, test emails from me to him error back to me, test to him from his puter never arrive anywhere.

I let him restore back one week, just in case one of the windows updates we both had done last week was the cause. ONE test email came thru (his email to his email) but after that nada.

Now to make things a bit more confusing, I answered a question on another forum that uses email to respond. It was returned to me with the same exact error as posted above (different email name, of course, but same error)

I have no clue where to go from here :flowers:

Piney :trumpet:
Piney

Infected? Report it! <<<Click

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:02 PM

well, if it is whining about smtp addresses and ports, it sure does sound like a setting to me. where is the outgoing mail addressed? does hubby have his own mail server? or does the ISP serve the mail? does his firewall or "server" for any weird reason block his outgoing?
try adding his account and settings to another computer to see if it is a local computer thing or a setting thing, this will better narrow the issue, let me know
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Piney

Piney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

We are dsl thru a local company. The incoming is the mail server .... his is mail.xxxxxxx.net, mine is mail.isp <<<<<< all changed for privacy.
The outgoing for both is mail.isp <<<< again, changed for privacy.

Everything was fine until 2-3 weeks ago, then suddenly changed for both of us.

Similarities include, both updated windows at the same time, both have Nortons which updated at the same time, both are XP.

The kidlet is also on the home network. His is WinME, with Nortons and so far there is no problem with sending/receiving to his dad or to me, or recieving from either of us.

Kidlet and hubby are running NIS2005, I have NIS2004.

This really has me stumped :thumbsup:

Piney
Piney

Posted Image

#4 Piney

Piney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:16 PM

About midnite our time last evening, dsl went down.

This morning I called to see what the problem was, and was told, "Routine maintenance"

hmmmmm ..........
both emails are working just fine now (knocking on wood) :thumbsup:
Piney

Posted Image

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:19 PM