Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Steam customer support

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Totty

Totty

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

some of you knowledgeable malware experts may have noticed I joined because of a malware problem and I'm in the process of trying to rescue my brothers steam account which got hijacked (i think due to the malware infection)

And having dealt with steam before on a customer service matter (about a dedicated server and a weird disconnect problem) I can say that their support has been crap.. Am I the only one who has got a terrible response from them?

All I have got so far is an automated email response saying my question has been submitted (about 2 days ago). The least they could do is post saying that they are busy and they are looking into it or something. As far as I know no-one has even seen the support ticket.

Added to that there is no phone number to call.
The only way to contact them is via their support ticket system. (which takes an age)

The first time I contacted them about a the dedicated server they told me to delete my client settings o_0 why would deleting my client settings magically resolve a disconnect problem that everyone who connects to the server experiences....

EDIT: Moved to a more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 22 December 2009 - 02:27 PM.

OS: 1. Slackware Linux........................... 2. Windows XP Home Edition
Mobo: Asus P5N-D.................................GFX : Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 512MB
CPU : Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.6GHz........... RAM : 2GB DDRII Coirsair Twinx
HDD1: Maxtor 80GB SATA II Hard drive.............HDD2: Western Digital 40GB IDE
Case: Antec Gamer 300 case.......................PSU : Corsair HX620 620W - Modular

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

Steam customer support is non existent, I tried to contact customer support regarding a purchase I had made. Not only did the goods never arrive (3 months waiting) they never replied to 1 email I sent and had to cancel the credit card details myself to get my money back.
I would never deal with them again!
MCP
MSDST

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:07 PM

To be honest, I've never dealt with it. You always pick the download option, not the 'ship it to me' option. What's an advantage to this? Any computer you visit with Steam will allow you to download the game for play. If you trust your friends, lend them your account info and let them login to you and play your games!
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

steam. in a word. no

if you dont have to use them, dont.

the last time I contacted them, it took them a week and a half to reply with: we cannot resolve your issue at this time, thank you for using steam support.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

I find steam too be one of the largest abominations a program, or company could ever be. I almost lost it when I heard that MW2 was steam exclusive for PC
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#6 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

yeah, me and my friends are pissed at MW2 and its connections, its either really laggy or unconnectable. The steam voice doesnt work correctly and steam stuff is way too easy to hack... MW2 doesnt even use vac...

#7 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

I almost lost it when I heard that MW2 was steam exclusive for PC

It's not, you can get it anywhere and could since it came out.

yeah, me and my friends are pissed at MW2 and its connections, its either really laggy or unconnectable.

I blame the publisher and/or the developer. If the community was allowed to create servers this would not be an issue.

As far as STEAM goes I have had really good luck. I've rarely had problems; when I have they have gotten right back to me via email.

Also, if you jump on sales you can get really good deals on games. I got the Unreal Deal pack during the holiday sale...Unreal Gold, UT, Unreal 2, UT2004 and UT3 for $13.49. Pretty amazing since UT3 still goes for around 20 most places.

There is something about having tactile possession of a game. The disk, the box. But then, loose a disk or CD KEY and you'll be reminded of how nice the STEAM model can be. Makes formatting much easier; once you're done with the nitty grit, install steam, start your downloads and head to work. No more babysitting multiple installs.

Don't get me wrong, STEAM has its issues. In fact when it first came out I hated it; most of its features didn't work. I had to use it though, as I was really big into Counter-Strike at the time. I just never relied on it for its extra features such as friends lists and what not. I used Xfire for a long time. But now STEAM does just about everything Xfire can and more; it's just redundant to have 40 IM clients running when everyone uses STEAM anyway.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users