Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to test for a bad DVD-RW drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

Hello everyone. I have a 5-6 year old HP tower that was given to me. It has two DVD-RW drives in it. One is an HP drive and the other I am not sure about...there is no label on the front or the case when you remove it from the PC. Both drives show up in WinXP and one of them will read a cd. Neither of them are working with DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, or AnyDVD. I get error messages from all three programs basically saying the disc is damaged or dirty. I have taken both drive apart and blown them out with canned air and put them back in the PC.
How do you know if you have a bad drive? Could it be something in Windows keeping the drives from working like they should? The PC has the new free Microsoft essentails suite for AV, anti-malware, etc. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

Are the drives correctly jumpered for the configuration they are connected in? The only real maintenance that is feasible is to make sure the laser lens is clean - you can try a cleaning disc but a manual clean with a cotton tip moistened with isopropyl alcohol is best.

Then I suggest if the system is capable of booting from the optical drive, connect only the one you want to test and attempt to boot from CD and DVD, using the likes of Linux Live discs or Windows install CD/DVD. This eliminates any Windows issues - if the drive can't read the discs to boot up from, then it's a bad drive. If it can, then it's worth moving on to fault-find the Windows installation.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

The drives are set up as cable select. I also have a laptop DVD-RW drive that is doing the same thing. It is a Sony drive in the laptop and it is doing the same thing and will not read a disc. That machine is running Win7 and Xubuntu. I do not get it. I will try what you said and see what happens. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users