Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow computer, is discstreamhub.exe the problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 beckyr

beckyr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

My computer has been REALLY slow to boot, open files (even small word documents), etc.
When I check the task manager the DiscStreamHub.exe is taking up usually 50% of my CPU.
I have an HP Media Center Edition 2005 and someone mentioned that the discstreamhub is just for downloading games (and I don't want to do that).
Should I get rid of it? If I do, can I get it back if I want it back?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

This program is usually installed by the PC manufacturer (HP) and is commonly known as "crapware." Unless you are actively using it's features (downloading games, which you say you aren't) you can uninstall the program by using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet. I ought to be listed there as DISCover My Games or something similar.

While you're at it you might as well uninstall any other crapware that HP preinstalls on their computers. There's a neat, free program called PC Decrapifier that may lend itself to removing most of the crapware in one fell swoop.

#3 beckyr

beckyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

All I did was delete the DISCover program which wasn't very big, but now my CPU usage is down under 10% (was 100%).

Yay! It worked.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users