Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox opens new windows constantly.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flavaflave

Flavaflave

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hey,

Sorry I'm new to this website, and think I am posting in the appropriate forum. My problem is that Firefox keeps opening new windows. It happens randomly, some days it won't happen at all, however literally five minutes ago firefox opened 14 new windows by itself. Also, when I am on a webpage it sometimes just takes me back to the homepage without me doing anything. Another thing that has started happening is that just before it opens new windows, my keyboard doesn't function properly - it doesn't pick up what I'm typing in The new windows always show my homepage - they're not advertising anything. I thought it could have been a problem with firefox, so I uninstalled it and used Internet Explorer instead, however this also happened with that programme. I have already re-installed Windows (using Vista), I have scanned my computer many times using Norton, however nothing comes up. I have also used Malware Bytes, which came up with something, I fixed that however this keeps happening.

Please help :thumbsup:

Thanks, Kim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

Hi, Flavaflave, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Ordinarily, I'd say that you had an infection, but you say you reinstalled Vista? Provided it was a complete format and reinstall, than no infection should persist. So, let's focus on the keyboard. You say that it stops functioning immediately before the new windows are opened, and that it happens in both Firefox and IE. I'd suggest trying a known good keyboard and wait to see whether the problem goes away. It sounds to me like the keyboard is sending erroneous keystrokes and/or the keyboard driver is going nutsy-cuckoo.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 22 December 2009 - 01:57 PM.

#3 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

After fixing with malwarebytes did you reboot to enable it to totally wipe the infected item from your system !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#4 Flavaflave

Flavaflave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hey, thanks =]

Yes, will try the keyboard, however it was opening windows before the keyboard stopped working just before, and sometimes happens when I'm not even touching it =/ I'll borrow my brother's keyboard for a while and see if that helps.
Yeah it was a full re-install and format.
And yes I rebooted after Malware bytes =]

Thanks, Kim

#5 Flavaflave

Flavaflave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

Update -

After I had disconected the keyboard, Firefox kept opening by itself again. I don't know what to do :thumbsup: I can barely use my computer because of this.

Please help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users