Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major IE problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 donnakay12

donnakay12

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:47 PM

When this started, I had a major malware infection that someone there helped me with. Through that problem, new things are wrong. He says I am malware free now.

After all the work we did to clean up my system, my icon to IE no longer worked. If I double clicked it it would look for the file. I searched my computer for iexplore.exe and found one file. It is located at C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6ca7b3a8efd5a9b6f87fff395a2eb989.
If I double click it, I get a message saying "The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll"

If I try to download IE SP1, I am able to download the file. But when I try to install in says that I already have a more current version on my compter and it won't install.

The only way I can search the Internet is to open Windows Explorer and then type an address in the address bar. But I cannot click on many links and I cannot get to some sites at all.

During the cleanup, my Norton Internet Security was fried too. It doesn't automatically enable anymore. Don't know if you can help there too....

If not, please help fix the IE problem and then I'll worry about NIS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donnakay12

donnakay12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:56 PM

Okay, now it's worse. I used your tutorial about repairing IE. None of the options worked. and it said reinstall Windows if those both failed. So I did just that - reinstalled Windows XP.

Now I can't access the Internet AT ALL, not even through Windows Explorer. I also couldn't activate Windows over the internet; I had to call & do it over the phone. So I assume there's suddenly some issue with my conectivity. Any suggestions what to do next?

If I go to Programs and chose Internet Explorer I get a wizard. Something about self extraction device...

Please help ASAP.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:05 PM

quick fix, you obviously have some sorta internet access, download mozilla firefox. it is also a free web browser, and is a very popular alternative to the bundled IE.If re-installing didn't help, this will get you outta formatting.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 donnakay12

donnakay12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:55 PM

The probelm also involves Outlook Express but I'm trying to fix one at a time. Don't really want to download Mozilla Firefox (I tried it before and didn't like it).

I prefer that someone help me fix the problem with IE.

#5 spmu

spmu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:32 AM

donnakay12, just wondering how you fixed this problem. I'm now having the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users