Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing various file formats

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

I want to be able to access some different files, just for the sake of curiosity, this specific being .cvr files, used in a game. All my ordinary spying around, notepad and google gave no results. Any recommendations for a good site containing that sort of stuff? It looks a bit weird, like loads of other stuff found in files with notepad and the word hex editor pops up in my mind for some reason. I know what a hex editor is, so how do i find one?
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Totty

Totty

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

I'm not too sure on the boards policy for posting links so I will remove this is if a mod asks...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Hex+editor+windows+free
OS: 1. Slackware Linux........................... 2. Windows XP Home Edition
Mobo: Asus P5N-D.................................GFX : Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 512MB
CPU : Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.6GHz........... RAM : 2GB DDRII Coirsair Twinx
HDD1: Maxtor 80GB SATA II Hard drive.............HDD2: Western Digital 40GB IDE
Case: Antec Gamer 300 case.......................PSU : Corsair HX620 620W - Modular

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

No, the link is fine: Hex Editors are not evil!

As far as I can tell, .cvr files are used in some fax programs... but you say they're in a game? Try Googling for the name of the game followed by something like, ".cvr file viewer"

#4 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:54 AM

yeah, i realised that i had google about 10 seconds after i posted...
I found one, it seemed nice. The contents was utter jibberish.
Is it so that hex editors reads 16 bits at a time and interprets that as one symbol? if so maybe one symbol is represented by 8 bits. It is 16 bit graphics and old, like in the 5-8 yo class.

Edit: Ya know what, i tried googoleing the name of the game, and what pops up?

"Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, FIRAXIS' second title, was released in February 1999."
Its that old... And it has an expansion pack and patches. I really have to use google more often.

Edit2: Well, wada ya know, the .cvr files contain the animations!
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8709176
"From my understanding, CVR files contain animation of 3D pixels, with the geometry positions and animations, etc of each pixel."

Edited by Surma, 23 December 2009 - 06:10 AM.

---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users