Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC crashes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bigmouth

Bigmouth

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:29 PM

Hi, recently my PC has been sluggish and crashing with a drwatson postmortem debugger error at times when i open a folder on my desktop or have multiple windows(4) open, i have not installed any new driver or hardware at all. I have posted in the hijackthis section of the forum for help and they directed me here to solve my problem. I hope you can help with my problem. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:01 PM

What error messages are you getting?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:22 PM

have you done any hardware tesst yet? dl a memtest-"memtest 86" the iso version, boot to it, it will test the memory, if you are having trouble opening up multiple windows, and is slow, you may want to do this simple test too/first
http://www.memtest86.com/
go here
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 Bigmouth

Bigmouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:15 PM

Hm not sure how to boot the iso verison the tutorial on the website was not very good.

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:04 PM

if you can download the "iso" image, and if you have a burning program which recognizes iso images, like nero, then you should be able to make a disc out of the image, and all you have to do then, is simply put it into your master cd rom drive, and boot into it.
let me know if you understood.
dave

#6 Bigmouth

Bigmouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:06 PM

Yep i understood. Thanks.

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:06 PM

was it bad ram? even if you get 1 bad address, change your ram, it should do a series of tests, 7 i think, and it will continue to loop and do "passes" after 1 complete pass that should do.

#8 Bigmouth

Bigmouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

Hm no it wasnt bad ram. It occured to me it might be because I almost filled up my Hard drive (it only had 1gb left on it out of 40gb) but i freed 20gb off it and it still locks up at times when I'm multi-tasking. I've done error checking on my Harddrive before too.

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:49 PM

lol, what brand of drive you have?
you should download the hard drive tests from the appropriate web site and run them like the ram tests. iso images.
www.maxtor.com
www.wdc.com
www.ibm.com
ww.samsung.com
test this too, also important, you could lose valuable info if not.
let m eknow how you made out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users