Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot properly after dusting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fierze

Fierze

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

Hello, Today I decided to dust my computer and when I put everything back in it wont start properly. The fans start but the screen says there is no signal detected and the computer makes some strange noises(In a loop) until it starts showing the bootup on the screen but when it fails to launch Windows XP Professional and goes into network boot where it finally puts me into "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" and the "processing" LED is blinking rapidly.

I have tried running the Windows CD and it says there is no hard drives detected and I have also tried checking that everything is connected properly inside the computer.

I suspect the hard drive or the motherboard is fried cause sometimes it seems it wont even go into bootup.

Help is highly appreciated and tell me if i forgot something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:44 AM

If it goes into network boot when the BIOS is set to boot from the hard drive, your CMOS battery could be failing.

I would check the boot settings and drive detection in the BIOS, along with the hard drive connections.

Louis

#3 Fierze

Fierze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

I did as you said and the boot priority is: CDROM, HDD, Floppy

I changed it to HDD first and still no change.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

I would change the CMOS battery, hoping for the best.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users