Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me get started?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 buffalo_bill

buffalo_bill

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

hey guys :thumbsup:

I have a keen interest in programming and have decided to start to learn. I have decided on beginning with C++ and java. (if you disagree dont hesitate to tell me).
I am willing and determined to learn, I just need to be pushed in the right direction. If you could suggest some links and/or books that will help me to learn that would be great. Also what programs should I get to actually do the programming in?

Thanks in advance :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

The first skill to learn is the ability to do research. There have been a ton of posts here that directly relate to your search, as well as a sticky at the top of the forum. :thumbsup:

#3 Totty

Totty

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

One thing I would mention as a C/C++ programmer is that it may not be the best language to start out with, especialy if you are learning java at the same time. C++ is not exactly kind to a beginner

Perhaps one language that would be suitable would be pascal? I know its not used in many common industry applications but it is designed to teach programming, and really once you learn one programming language you've learnt a whole chunk of them, its just syntax that you need to find out ^_^.

Good luck on your programming journey and if you are really set on C/C++ may I direct you to www.cplusplus.com, I frequent over at the forums there and they have a very good language tutorial and allot of knowledgeable people on the forums to help you if you get stuck :thumbsup:

Best of luck, and enjoy learning
OS: 1. Slackware Linux........................... 2. Windows XP Home Edition
Mobo: Asus P5N-D.................................GFX : Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 512MB
CPU : Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.6GHz........... RAM : 2GB DDRII Coirsair Twinx
HDD1: Maxtor 80GB SATA II Hard drive.............HDD2: Western Digital 40GB IDE
Case: Antec Gamer 300 case.......................PSU : Corsair HX620 620W - Modular

#4 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:59 PM

Hi there,

I'm a computer programming student with a specialty in security. First, I have to completely agree with groovicus. Second, I would recommend Visual Basic to start off. It's the simplest language to learn and there is a LOT of documentation for you to find about it. Don't get me wrong, Java and C++ are great languages and I do recommend learning them in the future. There are a lot of concepts to programming in those languages that will confuse you to a level where you don't even know what to do.

VB is a really easy to use language but it's just slow compared to the others. Honestly, making actual software for release with it isn't the best idea, you can do it, but I don't recommend it. But for learning, it will be great.

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#5 buffalo_bill

buffalo_bill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

great :thumbsup:
thanks guys, i will look into visual basic and pascal for my beginning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users