Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus/Trojan, I've disabled it at startup but how to remove?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RiverTamGrey

RiverTamGrey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:57 AM

Maybe you can help... I found a virus or trojan (don't really know which) and was able to boot in safe mode and disable it at startup. I don't think it bothers my system anymore but I'd like to know a safe way to remove it, but when I look up either name above I find absolutely nothing.

When I look in System Config, under the Startup programs where I disabled this, it reads as:

Startup Item: gutigiwiz
Manufacturer: Unknown
Command: Runndll32.exe "c:\progra~2\yavuhoki\yavuhoki.dll",a

Has anyone heard of this, and can you give me a hand? I'd really appreciate it, thank you. ~RTG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:37 AM

Hi, lets start with a basic MBAM scan

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it.

• Before saving any of your security programs, rename them first. For example, before you save Malwarebytes', rename it to something like MBblah.exe and then click on Save and save it to your desktop. Same thing after you install it. Before running it, rename the main executable file first

Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run..
  • Another work around is by not using the mouse to install it, Just use the arrow keys, tab, and enter keys.

~ Courtesy of boopme

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here or here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
For a complete visual tutorial of MBAM, see http://thespykiller.co.uk/index.php/topic,5946.0.html

Please include the following in your reply:
MBAM log

#3 RiverTamGrey

RiverTamGrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for getting back to me. I already had Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed so I ran a full scan, and it came up blank. Here's the log, hope you have another idea! :thumbsup: Thank you.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3020
Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

12/29/2009 8:12:58 AM
mbam-log-2009-12-29 (08-12-58).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 312948
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 12 minute(s), 7 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

Lets try manually removing the file
First, go to Start -> My Computer -> Your C: drive
Now navigate to your Program Files folder and look for a folder called yavuhoki. Right click the folder and click delete

Edit: Whoops, I missed this. Your Malwarebytes is out dated. Please click the update tab to download the new definitions. Then do another Quick Scan. You can try manually removing the file using the instructions above if MBAM comes up empty again.

Edited by xblindx, 29 December 2009 - 11:41 AM.

#5 RiverTamGrey

RiverTamGrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

Huh, I can't believe I missed updating before I ran the scan. Sorry, doing that now.

On a more disturbing note, I looked in C:\Program Files and there isn't a folder named that... even tho in my original post, that's where the startup seems to think it is. Hope MBAM finds something this time!

Thanks again for your help, I'll post later after the scan.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

Under C:\, do you have another folder that starts with "Progra"? it should be listed after Program Files

#7 RiverTamGrey

RiverTamGrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:05 AM

Hmm. Sorry, got distracted, forgot to post. So, I ran MBAM again after the update, and it found a trojan, so I asked it to remove it and restarted when prompted. The log's below. Unfortunately, once restarted, I got the same message I've been getting since I blocked the thing -- Windows has blocked some startup programs, and when I see which one, it's the yavuhoki still. *sigh* I was hopeful, because the file MBAM cleaned looked like it could be from this trojan.

Thoughts? Thanks much.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.43
Database version: 3458
Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 7.0.6002.18005

12/31/2009 2:21:58 AM
mbam-log-2009-12-31 (02-21-58).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 321805
Time elapsed: 4 hour(s), 43 minute(s), 42 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Temp\n.exn (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(*** NOTE: Filename changed to "***" above for privacy, but it is the main "user".)

(Edit to fix file name yavuhoki, misspelled the first time.)

Edited by RiverTamGrey, 31 December 2009 - 04:09 AM.

#8 RiverTamGrey

RiverTamGrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:06 AM

Under C:\, do you have another folder that starts with "Progra"? it should be listed after Program Files

Forgot to answer this, no I don't, which I found as strange as you do. I even tried to see hidden files, but if it's there I'm not looking for it correctly.

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

Have you tried doing a search for the file?

Go to start -> search
On the left pane, click all files and folders and under all or part of the file name type yavuhoki
Under look in, make sure your C:\ drive is selected
Now click search

After you try locating the file, post the results of the search here please.

Once the search is complete, do this:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

#10 RiverTamGrey

RiverTamGrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:57 AM

Thanks again for your help. For starters, I did a basic search of the C: drive and it didn't find anything. Then I asked it to search hidden files, and then it found it in C:\ProgramData. It looks like an empty folder, but I haven't opened it. The odd thing is I'm seeing other folders in this directory that seem eerily similar to this one, in between folders I recognize like Adobe, Epson, Malwarebytes, Symantec (etc.)... in order these other files are -- gatinora, jajarazi, kihutosa, lilufofu, mefokugi, mirokomo, musumari, rimojagu, riwuhiko, sazotoyi, tilusopi, topoyepi, vebeleje, vimogeko, vuvolaku, weredaho, wirafuya, wuhesonu, (then) yavuhoki. Eeek, creepy!!!

I'm going to do the other steps now, download those programs and run them from safe mode, etc. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Edit: I was trying to attach a picture of the file folder to show that all those files have similar modified dates, not in alphabetical order and from right around when I managed to disable it at startup, but I didn't realize it had to be a web pic. Ick this just gives me the creeps now!

Edited by RiverTamGrey, 03 January 2010 - 07:28 AM.

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

Alright, as long as the folders are empty, there shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to do some quick research on those folders and post back here via editing this post.

Okay, here is some information about the first 3 files, they are all associated with malware. If you would like, I can look up the rest of them as well, but it doesn't really seem necessary. Don't try manually deleting them at this time. If we ever have to go there, I would like to research the rest of the folders to be sure that they are all safe to remove.

gatinora
jajarazi
kihutosa

I'll be waiting for the results of the scan log from SUPER

Edited by xblindx, 03 January 2010 - 12:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users