Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MY computer shuts down out of nowhere

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paracitefluke

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

Hi, my computer shuts down out of nowhere, I'm not sure why, but recently it's been doing this past 2 months. It has done it about 3 times already. And sometimes my computer freezes and executes programs EXTREMELY slow. It doesn't happen all the time though, but it happens once in a while, not sure why it happens. Maybe it's a virus a program? Or it overheats? I have 4 fans on the computer 3 exhaust and one fan that blows into the mobo.

Here are the specs of my computer.

3500+ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (dual channeled on mobo)
256 Nvidia GeForce FX5700 LE 256 MB video card
K8t Neo2 (MS-6702E) v1.X -mobo

And my computer case might have to do something with it. This is the case I got.

Thanks for helping. Please help if you can!

Edited by Paracitefluke, 16 August 2005 - 05:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bartok

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:26 PM

My guess is your power supply is not powerful enough to handle your peripherals, esp. the video card. There is a difference in power supplies, and the voltage fluctuations in a 420w power supply included in a case that you spend $56 total can cause the behavior you're talking about. If you can afford it, get an Antec or other solid power supply (remember, you get what you pay for). With your setup, I would go at least 500w and expect to spend $60 or more for a good power supply of that power. Just my two cents, but something to consider. Good luck. :thumbsup:

#3 Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:31 PM

Download Everest Home Edition, run it and post what the temps are that the cpu, the motherboard, and the hard drive are running at. (You will find them under computer/sensor). Look and see if the fans are running and what the rpms are.

Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by higlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

Download here:
or here:

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 August 2005 - 08:39 PM.

#4 Paracitefluke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:42 AM

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83627THF (ISA 290h)
Motherboard Name MSI K8T Neo2

Motherboard 44 C (111 F)
CPU 37 C (99 F)
Seagate ST3200822A 45 C (113 F)
Seagate ST3200822A 37 C (99 F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2711 RPM
Chassis 2360 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.53 V
+3.3 V 3.58 V
+5 V 5.00 V