Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss of monitor signal on 2-qty HP computers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 erpo

erpo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

Hi,

I have a unqiue problem with 2 HP computers (desktops). One has a XP OS, the other has the Vista OS. The XP HP is roughly 4 years old, the Vista less than a year.

About a year ago, the XP begun to suffer from a loss of monitor signal though the computer remained on. The XP desktop did have a couple strange symptoms including its blue power light changed to yellow and began to blick and I could not power it down, regardless of how long I held the power button in, short of pulling the power cord. I would then wait for the blinking to stop, replace the power cord, and turn the computer back on which would act as though nothing happened.

The new Vista was intended to resolve the problem (or more honestly, put it off) but recently, it too has had a similar issue except that I can turn the desktop power off by holding in the power button. Again, re-booting seems to correct the problem although with both computers it may take a couple reboots to keep the computer on line.

The problem has occurred with different monitors and I have checked the video cables with each. Each obviously has a different power supply and video card so this too does not seem likely to be the problems orgina. I am suspecting it may be related to the real player program as both computers seem to have a far greater chance of crashing (or is this a mini-dump?) when downloading videos or programs, than anything else. I have checked both computers for malware/viruses, but found nothing.

I have placed this in the internal hardware catagory, but frankly, I do not know if this is a hardware or software issue .... Thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by erpo, 22 December 2009 - 12:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:14 AM

:thumbsup: Sounds like the computer is going to sleep. Go into the control panel and click on the power options icon. Under the selection turn hard disks off select never and under put computer to sleep select never. When your computer is sleeping generally the power button blinks or changes color you can usually wake it up with a key press on the keyboard or by pressing the power button. Windows vista and windows XP sleep modes were iffy sometimes the computer wouldn't wake up and you would have to reboot the computer. Thankfully this problem at least on my machines has vanished with the advent of windows 7.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 erpo

erpo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:36 AM

Thanks,

I just checked the Vista which is the computer presently hooked up. I selected 'never' to all though I did not see any reference to the hard drive.

I mentioned my concern that this issue with both computers may be related to downloading through Real Player because I could have no problem for days when the computer was inactive. If, on the other hand a week later I was to begin several Real Player downloads at the same time, perhaps 20-30% of the time, I would get this signal loss (monitor would go offline noting loss of signal) first, any sound I was getting would be lost in 20-30 seconds laer, and sometimes a light within the DVD player would being to flash. This was only corrected by the pressing of the power button and rebooting.

The XP would be very similar though the problem appeared to get worst a few weeks prior to its replacement by the Vista computer. I saw more frequent crashes where the only download was a program update.

Is there anyway some download or cache would overload the computer resulting in a mini-dump? I am trying to figure out if I did something to both computers that would cause the problem to show up in both in a similar fashion.

Thanks

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:04 PM

Could be memory related. Is the same amount of memory installed in both computers? Also check your event viewer in your administrator options in the start menu. What you are looking for are RED X's that appear around the time the computer malfunctioned you want to check all three categories.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 erpo

erpo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hi,

The Vista computer which is the one presently online is 8GB RAM. The XP has 4GB RAM. The XP was the computer that pulling the cord was the only way to re-boot as it did not respond to holding the power button in. I could not find the events location from the start menu. Can you expand on where to look on this (Vista) computer.

Thank you

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

Yes to access the event viewer you can use the run shortcut. Hold down your windows key and press the "R" key this should bring up the run box and type this eventvwr.msc. As a side not you can use this to launch the windows explorer tool by typing explorer in the run box ( I use that one VERY frequently its faster then hunting down the my computer icon ). Not to be confused with the internet explorer which is a different command.

Edit: Also I don't see lack of memory being the problem, Are you using the 64bit version of vista?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 23 December 2009 - 11:52 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 erpo

erpo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

Thanks,

Found no red X at any point. Should I be looking at anything particular? I looked at everything.

Tes, I am using the 64bit Vista version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users