Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System starts itself

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nawin_g

nawin_g

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

this is a wierd prob that occured to me. though i had solved it i still donot knw the exact reason behind it.

i have my sytem connected to UPS and there is regular power supply.

two days ago, i shutdown my system running on XP after 10-15 seconds the system booted again. i again shut it down and the samething repeated to happen.

after about 5 or 6 attempts, after shutting down i removed my LAN connection, then the system didnt start. the moment i connected my LAN wire again the system started to boot.

this time i cleared all the COOKIES, TEMP files etc. and shut the system and everything restored to normal.

but onething i couldnt understand was where laid the problem?

the following questions still linger in my mind:

is it possible for some program(cookies and other stuff) to reboot a system even though i shut the OS ?
what has it got to do with the LAN conection?

is it because the UPS was overcharged or something like that? (let me tell you i am using a branded UPS)

i also would like to mention that i had Fedora Core 3 installed in my system and at the GRUB (my bootloader) WinXP was the default OS. i dont knw if this would help in tracing the prob but i wanted to mention just in case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:57 AM

Your motherboard is equipped with Wake on Lan. There is a setting in the bios that will disable this and prevent the reboot.
Posted Image

#3 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:48 AM

Yes, I agree.

Go into your Bios and look for Wake on LAN , and set it to "Disable"
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users