Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weak PSU? Can low power create hardware issues?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FrankenPengie

FrankenPengie

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

I managed to scrape up some cash to re-gut my box. I like some old-school FPS and Trackmania so I built for a little gaming. Some online Trackmania maps really ate up frame-rate.

Specs:
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
AMD Phenom II X3 710 Box
G.SKILL DDR3-1600 2GBx2
Radeon HD 4770
WD3200 AAJS
Diablotek PHD 650
Windows 7 Ultimate(I 'know somebody' so it was only $50)

Also have:
NEC DVD RW from a recent scrap
250GB WD SATA in removable bay
200GB Maxtor IDE in removable bay

I piece it all together, load Windows and all my other must-haves. I do some playing around with the new OS(gripes are for another place, I know), and other than having to add a third-party network activity monitor I got it good and set up and all is well. I get Quake III Arena and Unreal 2004 loaded but I have no mouse in Doom3 so I uninstalled. I don't do a lot of playing yet because I'm still configing but I do crank up the visual settings like I've never done before. I find a retail Trackmania United for $5 and decide to upgrade to it. After loading it and maxing out the visuals and do some playing all seems okay but after playing, I start getting, "Windows has stopped working" after copying files, closing explorer, right-clicking on the desktop, closing Control Panel components... Anything that has to do with explorer.exe. It took me a while to realize that this is all happening after playing Trackmania and never before.

I bumped the visuals down on the games and problems have dissipated quite a bit but not completely. I've decided it's the PSU. It's only a 20-pin and likely 650W doesn't quite cut it for what I have. I'd like some feed-back on that and could running on low power and creating an unstable environment create other hardware issues needing replacement? I need to use my computer(but can hold off on gaming) but I'm not quite ready to up for another PSU.

Edited by FrankenPengie, 21 December 2009 - 10:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:45 PM

Your PSU wattage is fine for your build.

I have the exact same build, exept I have a 4870...

If your PSU has a low efficiency, then that might be your problem, howevr, I dont think your PSU is the problem. Id look into getting all the updates for your game and googleing the problem your having. Sounds like a game issue, or maybe a win7 issue. But hardware? Dont think so.

I would still ook and see how efficient your PSU is. You can typically find that info on the manufacturers website. If it was cheap... Id say your efficiency is low. For instance mine gets 85% efficiency, and hardly fluctuates below 80... usually stays between 90 and 86-7.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:24 AM

IF your PSU is only 20 pins your video card isn't getting enough power the new ATX 2.0 24 pin PSU plug is there for the upgraded PCI-E power.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:24 AM

:flowers:

My .02c worth?

Try it without the Drive that doesn't have Windows on it? Mixing IDE and Sata HDDs can lead to a few Problems as well. Apparently it can be Driver's Conflict.

:thumbsup:

#5 FrankenPengie

FrankenPengie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:45 AM

A d3Reaction review of the PHD750 reports 78% efficiency on that model and Diablotek's site is blank.

Every scrap of hardware and software on my machine is as up to date as possible. I have the removable IDE drive key turned off. I've run the machine with the removable SATA drive off without hicups but not enough to make a determination. It's my main data drive. The PSU does have a PCI-E connector right to the vid card.

I can't get the Asus Power Supply Calculator to give me any options past Intel or AMD.

P.S. Abacus, .02c is two one-hundredths of a cent. Verizon made this mistake in marketing of their mobile web pricing. Listen to the full recording of the phone call to customer service. It's a riot!

Edited by FrankenPengie, 22 December 2009 - 11:03 AM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:54 PM

While the card has the Power connections from the PSU it may still be underpowered. "Changes to ATX standard were made to support 75 watt PCI Express requirements. New ATX v 2.x uses new connector, but most motherboards now days allow to use an old ATX v 1.x power supply with 20 pin connector - it connects to 24 pin motherboard receptacle." There could be more or other contributing factors but this one should not be ignored all together.

Reference: http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users