Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I didn't ask for it and I don't want it...HELP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GeekNot

GeekNot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:26 PM

My computer hates me...and I'm starting to hate it! This relationship is going south. Had a friend try to clean it up and try to "fix" my issues with it but right now he's baffled too. I think I'm doomed (and will probably end up at the computer repair shop) but discovered this website and decided to ask "the experts" :thumbsup: !

I think I'll just list a few of the "multitude" of issues my computer is having (in no particular order) to see if you can guess what's going on...

Windows XP Professional
Dial Up (rural area...it's my only option...wish it wasn't so...)
AT&T ISP

>>When I try to set it to enable "Automatic Updates (Microsoft)" it won't stay "manual" or "automatic"...it continually reverts to "disabled".

>>Upon opening my e-mail program a new browser window pops up (address: knu-konceptz.com/free/html) with a blank page (no text)...then something about a BAT file...I can't remember right now...

>>Every time I start my computer and log on to the internet I run a scan with Microsoft AntiSpyware and SpySweeper and end up deleting at least 4 or more "problems"...only to have some of them come up again...again...

>>I had an older version of McAfee AntiVirus on it...but went to run a scan one day (after I had my first issues with spyware) and nothing happened. It said it was there in the start menu but would never "scan"...just the little hourglass...then nothing. So...I uninstalled that version and bought a brand new one a couple of weeks ago...but I can't install it. Nope...right now I got a nekkid computer! No antivirus software. I keep trying...it reads the disc and gives me the menu and the user's guide and all that other "text" stuff...but it won't install the software. What do I need to do?

>>Ended up with 1800SearchAssistant on there which I didn't download...I thought I had deleted the program but I can't get rid of "sac.exe:access is denied...so how do I really get rid of 1800SearchAssistant?

I hope I haven't totally screwed it up and deleted something I was supposed to have...but geesh, I'm getting bombarded with "stuff" everytime I run a scan and it's getting more annoying and frustrating by the day.

I feel like I've learned quite a bit just by lurking here, but I'm old...I come from the era of manual typewriters...and they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. So, if you have any ideas about what to do to "fix" my computer...please speak in as many layman's terms as you can...the rest I'll learn to decipher...and be kind :flowers: .

Thanks a million!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:33 PM

Please follow the directions in this tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

It will solve all your problems.

#3 thebes

thebes

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:47 PM

Do you have Microsoft Antispy downloaded or just use it from the net? I had a couple of bad hijackers that nothing i tried could get rid of until i download Mircosoft's. Not even the hijack this and so on. If you do not have it downloaded on your computer try it and keep it updated. made a beliver of me.

#4 GeekNot

GeekNot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:02 PM

TEB...thanks! Will do ASAP and let you know how it goes. It will probably be a slow download but I'll be patient :thumbsup: ...

thebes...Microsoft AntiSpyware is downloaded...not running directly from the net.

Back later with more news...hopefully good!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:13 PM

To start off with we have to remove the hijackers, malware and possibly viruses that are infecting your computer.

You definitely have at least one if not more hijackers on board.

First of all, do you have the Win 2000 pro installation disc in case you have to wipe the drive/s and reload a fresh copy of Windows?

Let's try to repair the computer first, but that can remain as a fail safe option that will definitely work should that eventuality become necessary.

The first thing to do is to download, install, update and run the following two programs: (make sure you search AdAware's site and download the FREEWARE version, not the "free trial" of their pay version)

*AdAware SE: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Let us know if you can accomplish that.

The next step is to download "Hijack This".

Download Hijack This (there are also a variety of other tools for malware and pestware on this site but for now you just need to download "Hijack This")
http://216.180.233.162/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe or
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Unless you are an expert in altering, editing or modifying the registry do not attempt to use “Hijack This” without expert assistance (which you will get here by explictly following the instructions below. Follow these instructions exactly!

How to submit a Hijack This log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-post-a-hijackthis-log/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 August 2005 - 09:16 PM.

#6 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:50 AM

Dont think anyone said this so ill just add it, download all the programs you will need, then reboot into safe mood and run them there. You can do them in normal windows but dont connect to the internet.

>>Upon opening my e-mail program a new browser window pops up (address: knu-konceptz.com/free/html) with a blank page (no text)...then something about a BAT file...I can't remember right now...

I think when its going there its downloading the hijacker or virus again, so stay offline and open ur browser and change the homepage. Run the programs and remove the virus and hijackers what ever ones you have. stay offline and just check the homepage is still what you want.

I think everyone eles has covered everything, fell free to correct me if im wrong any one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users