Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home Install error

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HighSpeedTek

HighSpeedTek

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

I am trying to do a fresh install on a new HDD. I am using a proper XP home disc in good condition. I boot to disk and run the setup and format. Once the computer restarts and goes to xp install screen it errors out at 39 min left. A window opens up with the text "The signature for Windows XP Home setup is invalid. The error code is fffffc0d". After closing that window another opens with " Error: The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffc0d in the message file for syssetup.dll Fatal Error: Setup failed to install the product catalogs". I have since tried another HDD, CD drive, & XP Pro and got the same results. Both HDD had been reformated between the XP home, XP Pro attempt. The system is running one 512MB stick of RAM. I'm getting closer just by process of elemination but thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone had any thoughts.
Thanks,
J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

Have you tried a different stick of RAM yet?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:49 AM

This article describes installing XP after 98....Odd thing is the error codes seem to match yours???

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307153
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:04 AM

:thumbsup:

Try draining the CMOS, Mate.

Look for a Battery like a silver Coin, near it will probably be a Jumper, after Turning off the Computer, remove the Main Power Supply Wiring Fitting to the MotherBoard and move the Jumpers across for about 5 minutes, then switch it back, and Replace The Wiring Fitting. If you can't find the Jumper, do the same as above and remove the actual Battery for 5 minutes, etc. After you finish go into BIOS and reset the Time and Date for your Computer, it will default to the day it was Built, Then go from there and Post back.

What can happen is incorrect Code can become written into the CMOS that interfers with Reinstalling of Windows, ALL Versions, pertaining to the Set Up of the Hardware, etc, of the Machine, which throws out the Install Process. Often just Draining the CMOS corrects it.

Edit: It also explains the Problem OGB pointed out about 98.

:flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 22 December 2009 - 08:08 AM.

#5 HighSpeedTek

HighSpeedTek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

Thank you all for your quick reply! I tried a brand new stick of 512MB with the same result. I then tried the CMOS/battery idea by taking out the battery and unplugging the power to the MB. I let it sit for 30 min and put it back together. When it restarted it stated a CMOS setting was incorrect and I was given 2 options, Configure and Defulat. I chose default and reset the date and time. That didnt work either. I then tried renaming the CatRoot2 dir as directed in the KB post. When the computer reboots the setup recreates another CatRoot2 directory. I can still see my changed directory(catold) as well but install still stops at 39 minutes. I was able to find a site that defines the error code 0xfffffc0d as "JET errOutOfMemory" but I dont know what memory it is reffering to. Does anyone know what memory its talking about?
Thanks again!

#6 HighSpeedTek

HighSpeedTek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

More Info: Just for the heck of it I decided to use my Windows 2000 Pro disk and try a fresh install including format and it worked. I'm not sure why it worked but there has to be a reason why 2000 Pro will install and XP Home & XP Pro will not. Any ideas?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

What data/time data is currently displayed in your BIOS?

I would have replaced the CMOS battery, since a weak one will cause abnormal BIOS/system events, IME.

Louis

#8 HighSpeedTek

HighSpeedTek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

It shows the current date and time. It had reset to defualt when I removed the battery but I reset it and it has stayed correct ever since.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

IME...when the time/date revert...that's a hint to replace.

FWIW: All files created with the wrong creation date...can cause problems with system functioning.

Louis

#10 HighSpeedTek

HighSpeedTek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

I will look into the battery issue. I didnt know the date/time was supposed to keep track with the battery and power disconnected. I set the CMOS to default after I tried disconnecting the battery and power sup. I didnt think to check the time and date before selecting the default option. I will test and repost. Thanks!

#11 HighSpeedTek

HighSpeedTek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:59 PM

New battery installed and getting the same error. I dont think I posted this error I found in setupapi.log. It shows

#E360 An Unsigned or incorrectly signed file "E:\I386\NT5INF.CAT" for driver "windowsXP Home Edition setup" will be installed (policy=ignore) Error 0xfffffc0d: Unknown Error

This thing is about to become a doorstop or a frisbee. I think the only things I havent replaced at this point is the MoBo and processor.

#12 HighSpeedTek

HighSpeedTek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

MS says, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823303.

Louis

#14 HighSpeedTek

HighSpeedTek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

Thanks, I've tried all of that before. Its wierd, Win2000 & Win98SE install no problem. XP Home or Pro error out.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

At this point...I would question the validity of the disk used.

The error seemingly is common to efforts to upgrade from Win 9x, which is not the case outlined here.

If it were me, I'd find someone with a working XP CD (same version)...have them make me a copy...slipstream that CD to include SP3...and then attempt a clean install with the newly created CD and my valid license.

The one thing which I have not considered...if you have an upgrade version of XP and are attempting to do a clean install minus the requisite Win 9X system...but that would generate a different sort of error message, IME.

I just do not know.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users