Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to do a fresh install of vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikea_304

mikea_304

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

ok so I was having some major problems with my interenet connection settings pretty much no one could figure it out in over a month of try this try thats I decided to reload vista this is what I did
added a 80 gig maxtor hardrive to my system
formatted maxtor drive
disconnected sata drive
added windows vista to maxtor hardrive
transfered stuff I wanted to keep from sata drive to maxtor music pics etc
connect sata drive
format sata drive
disconnect maxtor drive
insert windows disc
boot options load from disc
windows starts files and goes to install screen
asks for me to install the driver for the cd drive

the problem
I dont have the original disc that came with the cd drive I did not build this comuter
I tried to download one and burned it to a disc that did not work
then I tried a usb stick that did not work
what am I doing wrong I really screwed this up
but
if I connect the maxtor drive and boot up off of that then there is no problem at all
it never asked for the driver to be installed
and device manager says that it has the driver all updated and its all peachy
I tried to copy and paste the vista system files but I ran into a bunch of problems with hidden files

so Im pretty much lost on what to do now help

the disc drive is a: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-115D
the computer specs are
windows vista home premium 32 bit
high 400's gig SATA hardrive
maxtor 80 gig hardrive (I do not want this drive to be a part of this system It is on its way out and I have another plan to use it in a car audio system)
4 gigs of corsair RAM
turion x2 2.7ghz? processor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:38 AM

hi,,, what copy of vista is it,,, is it a full disc with the product key or is it an oem addition with the product key on a little sticker on the side of the pc,,,,, im wondering if its an oem addition then the system has recognised that this is already installed on the Maxtor drive,,,, take the maxtor completely out then try the clean install,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 mikea_304

mikea_304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

not sure could be either I guess
The disc has its own little dvd case and I have a hand written copy of the product key pretty sketchy huh

but thats not the problem i think
it wants the pioneer driver which I am somehow failing to get loaded
what I would like to try is to find the driver that is on the maxtor drive extract it burn it and try that I got one off of some website but it is not being recognized by flash drive nor disc

also is a driver disc a bootable one? maybe thats what is wrong

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:39 AM

hi,,,, if its a manufactured pc,,, ie dell ,, hp,,, acer and the like it will be an oem addition of vista and this disc will be for that pc only and will carry all the drivers for the hardware in that pc,,, ie,, your disc drive, if its a home build with the os added then it could be a full disc or still an oem disc (builders) and will carry generic drivers for hardware and not specific drivers for named hardware,,,, i would take out the maxtor drive,,, connect the new one and then try boot from the disc,,, if it does not work then try this out,,,, make a bootable flashdrive with the disc and then boot and clean install from this maybe ???
http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/c...-windows-vista/
hope this helps
just one more thing,,,, when booting from the disc you need to set the boot priority to the disc drive as 1st boot in the bios,,,, is the drive seen in there then or not ??????
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 mikea_304

mikea_304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

the computer is home built not by me
i do not have a 3 gb flash drive to make the bootable drive
the disc drive is recognized when selecting from the bios but when i try to install windows loads files and before i get to the product key it asks for the driver for the disk drive

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

strange one,,, as the drivers are quite clearly installed,,,, guy in this thread has a similar problem
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-250292_14_0.html
still cant shed any light on it,,, have you tried installing another disc drive and then boot to install generic drivers then try the clean install,,,, just one other thing,,, was the maxtor a sata drive as well??
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 mikea_304

mikea_304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

He does seem to have the same problem but I do not understand how it was fixed he turns off the ide emulator and sets the disk drive to primary boot

then he has a problem and they tell him to do the drivers again
i dont understand it but I will try it

the maxtor drive is an ide

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

hi,,,, im wondering if its a controller issue on the mobo,,,, between sata and ide,,, as they both have different controllers and most modern mobo.s carry them as far as i can figure,,,, im getting a bit out my depth here now and doing a bit of poking around in the dark so to speak,,,, im beginning to think this is more of a hardware thing than a vista thing and im not to great at hardware (i get by so to speak :huh: ), as in weather you have to set certain controllers for certain drive types or is it suppose to do it automatically,,, what you think ???
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users