Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tutorial notepad2 win7 instructions help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jonip

jonip

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

hello. I am running windows7. i would like to replace the windows notepad with notepad2 as described in the tutorial. There are instructions for every Operating system except windows 7 in the tutorial. Can someone please help me with instructions on how to hide my file extensions in win7. I was able to hide the file extensions but the batch programs created for win xp and win 2000 are not working for me. can anyone suggest something else?

Edited by jonip, 21 December 2009 - 11:03 PM.

jonip

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:27 PM

:huh:

Are we just supposed to guess what tutorial you are talking about?

#3 jonip

jonip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

tutorial is about replacing notepad with notepad 2. my friend was able to do it perfectly on winxp last night but she has been unsuccesful on my win7 OS. she did figure out how to hide file extensions but not use the batch programs well.
jonip

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

What color is my car?

#5 jonip

jonip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:24 AM

silver like mine maybe?
jonip

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

Nope. We could go on guessing all day like this, but it would just be easier to tell you that it is green. Sort of like it would be much easier to tell us which tutorial you were using so that we didn't have to guess. :huh: A link to the tutorial would be helpful. There area few billion websites; it would take us an eternity to guess which one you got the tutorial from. Meanwhile, you still have a problem. It would also be helpful to tell us what "she has been unsuccesful on my win7 OS" means exactly. Were there error messages? Did the system just shut down? We are not sitting in front of your computer, so we do not know what is happening, other than something is not happening like you want it to. :huh:

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

File extensions are hidden by default in Windows 7.

Add this line to hide extensions in your batch file :
REG ADD HKCR\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced /v HideFileExt /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Add this line to show extensions in your batch file :
REG ADD HKCR\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced /v HideFileExt /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

About replacing Notepad:
I am sure you are talking about this tutorial : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/replace-windows-notepad-with-a-better-notepad/
The tutorial was written for Windows 2000 and XP because Notepad in those versions of Windows was inefficient. Do not use that tutorial for Windows 7 or Vista. The Notepad in 7 or Vista is good itself. The only good replacement for Windows 7 or Vista Notepad I can think of is Notepad++ ( http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/ ). You can simply attach the file extensions .txt, .ini and .log to Notepad++ using the settings in Notepad++ without overwriting anything.

Edited by Romeo29, 22 December 2009 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users