Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG problem with combofix

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Youngest78

Youngest78

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help!
I'm trying to run combofix (having been advised to do so and armed with the relevant guidance) but as soon as i try it says i need to disable AVG. I have AVG on my laptop but I can't bring up the userface to disable it, when i double click on it it just times out. When i try uninstalling it it gives me a failure/error message saying that i have a problem with my registry key.

How can i disable it?
======================================

Right, this is all going to sound quite desperate, but then i am.
I've already posted a thread in this forum earlier but have not had any responses, so feel maybe it's best I go back to the beginning.
I know that this forum is teeming with topics from people just as in need as me, in exactly the same dire straits - I'm not looking for precedence, just some advice if someone can spare the time.

I operate Windows XP on a DELL Inspiron 6400. A couple of weeks ago i was struck down by what i assume were/are viruses/malware, whatever you want to call it. My system began became sluggish, freezing intermittently. It was clear something was wrong. I ran various AV stuff I have (AVG, MalwareBytes, Super Anti-Spyware etc) and although they picked up and quarantined trojans, the problems only persisted and eventually worsened. At this point - and it proved to be pivotal - attempted a system restore. The problem is that the whole computer froze halfway through the restoration, or appeared to have done since i left it overnight and it hadn't progressed in the morning.
Once I tried to reboot, I was unable to use the internet, or attempt a restore again. Error messages referred to invalid images, system32, something to this effect. Anyway, I panicked and persevered, and somehow or other - i genuinely don't know how, i managed to retrieve my internet connection and the ability to restore. By this point though, most of the restoration dates available were corrupt, and when i tried to restore it would reboot with an error saying it could not be restored. And although I am now able to use the net again, certain things are not possible (verifying my bank card during transactions, accessing certain websites that require 'this' or 'that'). And naturally, it barely works, my system takes an age to boot up and when it does i have about five minutes max before it seizes up and i have to power down.
Somebody advised me to read your combofix guide and download it and run it, which I wanted to do this evening, but it's saying my AVG is active and warns me to disable it, but i can't because although it's on my system when I double click it just times out and when i try to uninstall it brings up an error message regarding the registry key.

Now, I'm conscious of the certain things: I'm dumb, PC-illiterate. I'm the quintessential prick that panics when his computer goes wrong and hammers through error message, hoping sheer ignorance alone will prevail. I know I've not listed and quoted error messages as instructed in this. I know there are probably other numerous forums, and things, i should consult and run before deigning to post, but you have to bear with me - I've been pulling my hair outover this for two weeks solid and I'm just at my wits' end. The error messages have been too fleeting and many in number to remember, I have tried running the AV programmes i can. I'm trying to learn a lesson from this. I try not to behave complacently or irresponsibly since I do not understand anything about computers or their language, but sometimes, just on those occasions of outright crescendos of despair and madness, it's hard not to do the wrong thing.

If anybody had any advice about how I might run combofix (I will follow the guide religiously) or otherwise, I would be really grateful.

Edited by garmanma, 21 December 2009 - 09:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

AVG Remover
http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users