Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Improve my Security

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hi,

My P.C is a Packard Bell running on XP SP 3 and basically here is my current security set-up:

- Comodo IS (AV + FW + Defense)
- SuperAntiSpyware
- Spyware Blaster
- MBAM
- CCleaner

Is there anything else worth installing?

I don't use a HOSTS file, should I get one of these, I read Spyware Blaster does this job sort of already?

Also i'm using FF 3.5.6 for web-browsing, is there another browser I should consider? (I have IE8, Opera, Safari 4 + Chrome all installed if these are any better?)

Today i've just scanned with Comodo, SAS and MBAM with 0 results so that's good, just wondering if there are any other scanners, or maybe online scans I should use?

So in summary:
- Any more installations I should consider?
- Should I get a HOSTS file?
- Am I Using the Correct Browser?
- Any more scanners/online scanners worth using?

If you can answer 1 or more of these questions or provide any advice it will really be appreicated!

Also please post up your personal current "security set-up" if you can!

Thanks.

Edited by JJ2K, 21 December 2009 - 03:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:57 PM

:flowers:

You could check out this one?

It is Free, not a System Hog, runs quitely in the Background and is good.

http://www.iobit.com/security360.html?Str=download

:thumbsup:

#3 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:15 AM

But not nearly as good as when it used MBAM"s database before they got found out.

I think you have enough already, but I would say that because I use the same set-up.

I do the occasional scan with Superantispyware and MalwareBytes just to check, but they never find anything.
James

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using them as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using any of their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

Keep in mind that you can overkill a system with resource heavy security programs that will slow down performance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

:flowers:

You could check out this one?

It is Free, not a System Hog, runs quitely in the Background and is good.

http://www.iobit.com/security360.html?Str=download

:thumbsup:

No, no, just no lol. Read this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/268858/malwarebytes-accuses-iobits-of-stealing-their-programs-malware-definitions/

And your setup seems good, you don't want to overkill it because then it will slow your system down.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for including that link xblindx.

I thought I had added it in my reply but when copy/pasting, I apparently left it out.

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

No problem :thumbsup:

#8 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the information and advice guys it's appreicated especially quietman!

I'm wondering whether Ad-Aware Free and Spybot S+D would be useful implementations. Saying that my current set-up seems to be working well (touch-wood) with hardly any overhead, so I guess I shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

However I will try my hardest to keep an eye on the latest developments, because obviously the market is constantly changing!

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

As long as you practice safe internet habits, you should be fine :thumbsup:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

I'm wondering whether Ad-Aware Free and Spybot S+D would be useful implementations.

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products)

Further, most people don't understand Spybot's TeaTimer or how to use it and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

#11 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

Abacus 7, iobit uses 50 MBs of RAM when idle.. It is a resource hog among the other problems.

Good advice, quietman7, you give.

I used NOD32, Online Armor, Sandboxie, SpywareBlaster, Trojan Remover, Rootkit Unhooker, IceSword, Malwarebytes, and SUPERAntiSpyware Free until during my constant investigations - mainly checking independent testing sites, tech reviews, and reading forums - I discovered Prevx again. Read Neil J. Rubenking's review at PCMag.com. Eset'sNOD32 is a great antivirus, in the top at AV-Comparatives. It has a lower impact on performance than most others, yet still uses about 45 MBs of RAM. I had a license for NOD32 to 2011, but I uninstalled and got a partial refund.

I now use Prevx 3.0 as my real time antivirus and antispyware. Below is the average RAMprint of my real time security:

Parent ram MB vm MB

SECURITY
oacat.exe services.exe 1.82 2.16
oahlp.exe oaui.exe 1024 KB 5.61
oasrv.exe services.exe 8.00 17.76
oaui.exe explorer.exe 8.00 6.16

prevx.exe services.exe 12.49 8.13
prevx.exe prevx.exe 2.73 3.86

sbiesvc.exe services.exe 2.23 900 KB
sbiectrl.exe explorer.exe 6.67 2.70
sandboxiedcomlaunch.exe 2.27 1.15
sandboxierpcss.exe 3.00 1.39

TOTAL: 49.08891

So you see that all my real time security apps use about the same amount of RAM as NOD32 alone and a jot less than your suggestion, Abacus 7.

quietman 7 you give good global advice.
My recommended, what I use on XP Pro, SP3, 1.19 GHz AMD Athlon 768 MB RAM. Yes it's an ancient machine, but works fine. It is faster than my Vista machine. I like XP Pro.

Sandboxie
Online Armor Premium
Prevx 3.0
SpywareBlaster
Trojan Remover

and several on demand scanners and diagnostic tools.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users