Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE gets stuck / hangs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Paul62

Paul62

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

My internet explorer gets stuck almost systematically after some minutes of surfing.
I have to close the program (message : not responding), and when I start IE again, I get the message 'your last browsing session closed unexpectedly', with 2 options : restore your last session / go to homepage.
Another problem is that when I type an URL +enter, IE doesn't react. I have to close IE, open it again and usually then it works.
What can be the problem?
It is not a malware problem, this has been checked.

Kind regards,
Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

Been having almost the same problem with mine (have IE7). Sometimes it goes to the next page and sometimes I have to stop it and click on the favorite again.

Didn't want to jump on your bandwagon, but they might be the same fix. Only started about a few weeks ago.

And like yours, sometimes it freezes and have to Ctrl/Alt/Delete and start over.

#3 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

Try flushing your dns cache

1. Click the Microsoft Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
2. Click All Programs
3. Click Accessories
4. RIGHT-click on Command Prompt
5. Select Run As Administrator
6. In the command window type the following and then hit enter: ipconfig /flushdns ( make sure you put a space between ipconfig and / )

When its finished you should see it saying this

Windows IP Configuration
Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Hope this helps you out ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#4 Paul62

Paul62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for your advice. I followed the instructions, but unfortunately, the problem is not solved.

Kind regards,
Paul

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:43 AM

Try this fix :

Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
the same problem arises.

If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. If it occurs again
after enabling an add-on, then you have the addon that was causing the problem .

Let us know how this goes ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:59 AM

This is another fix i found try this aswell :

Go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced.

Under Browsing, the very first box (Automatically recover from page layout erros with Compatibility View) should be blank. If there is a check in the box, uncheck it.
Next, also under Browsing, you will see Enable Automatic Crash Recovery. Uncheck that box.

Tell me how you get on with any of these fixes ! :thumbsup:

#7 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:09 AM

Still getting kicked off the internet after downloading or watching a few shows (even OE gets stopped) and have to reboot to get back on.

Could my IP (Roadrunner; Brighthouse) be limiting my usage?

#8 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:50 AM

Still getting kicked off the internet after downloading or watching a few shows (even OE gets stopped) and have to reboot to get back on.

Could be ! but i doubt it your IP usually only limits usage when your downloading to much, have you tried uninstalling your addons and then trying it out ?

#9 Paul62

Paul62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

This is another fix i found try this aswell :

Go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced.

Under Browsing, the very first box (Automatically recover from page layout erros with Compatibility View) should be blank. If there is a check in the box, uncheck it.
Next, also under Browsing, you will see Enable Automatic Crash Recovery. Uncheck that box.

Tell me how you get on with any of these fixes ! :thumbsup:

Hi,

Both boxes had a check, so I unchecked them both and since then (more than 1 day ago), till now, I don't have any problems any more.
I also checked the add-ons, but they don't appear to cause problems.

Thanks a lot for your helk!

Paul

#10 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

Glad to here your sorted now ! :thumbsup:

#11 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

Could be ! but i doubt it your IP usually only limits usage when your downloading to much, have you tried uninstalling your addons and then trying it out ?

Checked with Brighthouse and no issues on their end, so uninstalled IE7, went back to IE6, then reinstalled IE7. Will see if that corrects the problems I was having and will post results later. If this doesn't help, might have to go to IE8 (arrrgggg).

#12 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:19 AM

Now I'm thinking I've either got spyware or malware on here. Have Spyware Blaster and AVG anti-virus. Any others I should have to get rid of bad stuff?

#13 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

Download http://www.malwarebytes.com when it finishes downloading rename it to something like bongo.exe and save it to somewhere you remember then, run it let it update automatically then scan with it after scan if it detects anything delete as appropriate then reboot so it cleans out infection completely !

Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

#14 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:24 AM

Ran it, found a couple of problems and deleted them. Worked fine for a couple of days, then tonight, had to reboot again to get back online. Arrrrrggggg!!!!

#15 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:25 AM

Hi there Hawkeye try running this http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/ see if it helps you if not then i will refer you to one of the more experienced members and they can run you through a full clean out, because you are definitly infected, but to totally get you cleaned out you will need to run HJT and several other scans after that, so for the time being we will try this and see how it goes !

Good Luck !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users