Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smiley Central = Malware?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

Come with MyWebSearch toolbar. I just don't like it because the people who use it at work add all sorts of smilies to their e-mails, and then send said e-mails to everyone on the network, multiplying the storage required on Exchange serve by a hundred-fold. It just adds up REALLY quickly that way.

Most BHOs (and that's what a toolbar like MyWebSearch/Smiley Central is, right?) are just out and out junk, and I know (from seeing a few past HJT logs and diagnoses) that several of them are downright malicious, too.

Is Smiley Central a known threat or risk to systems? Or just annoying and bloating?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

From PCHell

Smiley Central is an Internet Explorer plugin that allows you to add numerous smiley faces to your email or instant messages. It is part of the Fun Web Products suite of utilities such as Cursor Mania, My Mail Stationary, My Mail Signature, PopSwatter, Popular Screensavers, Webfetti, and the My Way website portal.

Although none of these products claim to be spyware, they do slow your computer
down. All of the products use cookies to track usage, although they claim not to use cookies or anything else to track personally identifiable information. That being said, I would still recommend uninstalling the SmileyCentral software and other Fun Web Products if you feel your computer runs better without them. They are found by many spyware removal tools such as Spybot Search and Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, although they are deemed spyware safe by other programs.

I'll tolerate a few smileys
It's the toolbars that I hate with a passion
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:58 AM

MyWebSearch is one of many browser toolbar add-ons (to include MyWay, MySearch) created and distributed by Ask Jeeves. It is often bundled with "free software" such as wallpaper and screensavers offered by third party software vendors and part of the Fun Web Products suite of utilities (Smiley Central, Cursor Mania, FunBuddyIcons, FunWebProducts, MyFunCards, My Mail Stationary, My Mail Signature, PopSwatter, Popular Screensavers, Webfetti, My Way website portal, etc). The toolbar is also aggressively offered via annoying banner ads and pop ups advertised on third party web sites that target kids. For a more detailed overview, refer to the Ask Jeeves Software Review conducted by Sunbelt Software Research Center.

MyWebSearch and MyWay were pre-installed on new Dell computers starting in November 2004 as reported in The Pharmer In The Dell. Dell had a link to "What is the Dell MyWebSearch Home Page?" but it has since been redirected to The "Dell My Way" Home Page. Dell now uses the "Dell Search Assistant " where they address many of the same concerns previously addressed in the redirected link.

Although MyWebSearch is not technically spyware, the program uses tracking cookies and transmits information regarding search requests performed through the toolbar's search facility. Some anti-virus and anti-malware programs detect the toolbar as a non-viral threat (i.e. not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch) or Potentially Unwanted Program, while others (Spybot, MBAM, Ad-aware...) may detect or remove individual files files and registry entries. However, even after these security tools detect and remove files/registry entries, remnants may still be found from time to time during subsequent scans.

To remove MyWebSearch, please follow the instructions for How do I "uninstall" the My Web Search toolbar?.
To remove the Search Assistant, please follow Dell's Search Assistant removal instructions.

Alternatively, MyWay.com offers the My Web Search Bar Uninstaller for software installed on Dell and other vendor computer. Another alternative is MS-MVP Kelly Theriot's MyWaySearchAssistant Uninstaller.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users