Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fire fox hanging false posatives on avg trouble booting

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 drcrippen324

drcrippen324

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

Hi all I feel bad arriving at a forum with problems in tow but i suppose its the way people find bleeping computer (when they dont know where to turn) i wouldent consider myself an expert but definatly not puter iliterate

The first signe of my problems started on having problems booting and thought maybe my hard drive was heading down the pan due to the clunking ect but...... next i find false posatives coming from avg and then finaly firefox hanging as i nwill operate fine in one tab untill i come ot eaither change web sites or open a new tab for another web site at wich point the tab title flashes momenteraly as though it is responding ot my request to change site ect but then dose nothing leaving the previouse site there unrespnsive in any way.

i can close fire fox and on reopening some times i get the error message "firefox is already runing please close this befor atempting ot open anotheer" or somtimes it opens hapily but just loads teh homew page and then stays in the non resposive state as it was befor closing others it reopens and runs fine for the next 10 to 15 mins

i have scanned out with avg ad got nothing so scanned out with spybot s&D removing a couple of little nasty malware programs but the problem persisted so scanned out with malware bights and cut out 4 or 5 more the faulse positives stopped and though ti was laughing after a reboot and the computer running up first time with no hasstels and no clunking of my hard drive (wiped his brow) but unfortunatly the fire fox problem still persists and now after about 3 reboots couple one day first thismorning i a mback to it struggling to boot and also messages from spybot on registry changes that upon asking what they were found it to be mor emalware / trojan trying ot reinstall itself proving to me ??? that i hadent got right to the bottom of things

so i find my self here now not knowing where else to turn in the hope some one could help me or direct me in how to get rid for good

thanks in advance

Andi (The Doc)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:30 AM

I recomend installing Avast Antivirus and performing the on boot scan which it offers on install , please stay by the pc as it will need your input to delete the infections
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

#3 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

What you could do is to fully update the Malwarebytes program, reboot the computer and run a full system scan ; then post the report from that scan for someone to check for you.

If you do decide to install Avast you will need to disable then UNinstall the AVG antivirus program as you should not have more than one Resident Antivirus program installed on the computer

#4 drcrippen324

drcrippen324
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

thanks guys will start with malware and go from there

#5 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

Please post back the Malwarebytes log when it is finished.
Computer Pro

#6 drcrippen324

drcrippen324
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

ok guys (and gals) heres the log as requested hope it helps

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
Database version: 3404
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

21/12/2009 20:20:21
mbam-log-2009-12-21 (20-20-21).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 220721
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 20 minute(s), 58 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

Hello.. as mention these can be some software issues with Firefox..Probably needs a a reinstall.

We need to disable Spybot S&D's "TeaTimer"if running.
TeaTimer works by preventing ANY changes to the system. It will attempt to undo any fixes we run, because it blocks these fixes from running.

In order to safeguard your system from problems that can be brought on by a half finished fix, we need to disable TeaTimer. We can reenable it when we're done if you like.
  • Open SpyBot Search and Destroy by going to Start -> All Programs -> Spybot Search and Destroy -> Spybot Search and Destroy.
  • If prompted with a legal dialog, accept the warning.
  • Click Posted Image and then on "Advanced Mode"
    Posted Image
  • You may be presented with a warning dialog. If so, press Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Uncheck this checkbox:
    Posted Image
  • Close/Exit Spybot Search and Destroy

Next run an Online scan. But first TFC.
Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image
AVG needs a fulll removal and reinstall or select another.

AVG Remover Utility:
•32-bit avgremover.exe
•64-bit avgremover64.exe

Install an scan with an A/V from our list here L@@K
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 drcrippen324

drcrippen324
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

ok scanned out and eset found and removed 2 infections unfortunatly thought it had saved ot teh desk top with teh log and it hadent tryed doing a quick serch for teh log txt file but cant find it can you tell me where it would save as default to save me having ot scan another 2 hours to get you a copy of the logs

mean time removed avg and am now re instaling

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

The ESET Online Scanner saves a log file after running.
The path to the log file is "C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt"
You can view this file by navigating to the directory and double-clicking on it in Windows Explorer, or by copying and pasting the path specification above (including the quotation marks) into the Start → Run dialog box from the Start Menu on the desktop.

Edited by boopme, 21 December 2009 - 11:28 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 drcrippen324

drcrippen324
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

sorry forgot to mention that i had already re installed firefox still had the same problem so nuked my profile and reinstalled

im just rescanning as the oly log i can find from est is the install log and after restarting the computer it seems ot be back to its old tricks thismorning took 3 or 4 atempts to boot up hanging just befor the xp screen then on the xp screen a couple of times then just befor the pasword / users screen as the xp screen went off and then stayed black

will look where im saving the log this time (was a long day sorry)

#11 drcrippen324

drcrippen324
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

well just finished scanning and this time it has found no threats but not given me a log eaither (i take it thats because it didnt find out) and after serching i couldent find the log not even fith the serch controle off the start menu

still suffering with both boot and fire fox hanging

thanks for the help so far guys and gals

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

Welll it appears not to be malware any more. Did you install an an Antivirus? I think it best to take this to the XP forum now as they can look at soft and hardware issues.

#13 drcrippen324

drcrippen324
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

sounds good do you transfer the thread to there or do i start a new thread

also if it helps iv now lost my sound driver just to add to the fun

thanks for all your help so far

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hi I can move it. But probably better to satrt a new . Include a link to this one.. So your new topic shows no replies. Otherwise they may think your being helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users