Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting rid of nasty critters in my external Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BEK

BEK

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:41 PM

Hi,
Thanks for any help, If I need to post this sommewhere else, please let me know, or if a mod moves it - Thank you.

Problem:
Used restore disk on computer, went to (3) External Hard Drives to clean files off of them (Music, pics and vids) While deleting I was prompted with “ A program wants to run…. I was distracted and was thinking along the lines of, “Are you sure you want to delete theses items….” I clecked, “Run” not just once but on several files on the Hard Drives and then it dawned on me,

Wait a minute, Run a program, huh?” to late my gift was files that keep duplicating, and duplicating… they duplicate and grow in size fastrer than delete can delete. I shut down the computer, unplugged all 3 External Hard Drives, did a system restore; however for safety sakes, I re-ran the restore disk to factory settings, re downloaded all updates, etc…

Current status: The Hard Drives sit and I am not powering them up or anything until I can get a bit educated on how to proceed!

IE 8
Windows Vista (home premium)
Norton This is currently the only anti-virus I have in an Active status. A free edition came with the computer, so I haven’t removed it or anything. I just finished downloading the last Windows update a few minutes ago, so currently I am all up to date.
Downloaded but not yet run and set up:
IOLO Technoligies Antivirus
System Mechanic
AVIRA antivirus
Spy-bot
Ad-Aware
Malwarebytes

Please advise if there is anything else that will be good to download, also if I should save it for later when to run it.

Thanks,

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

sounds like you got some sort of virus. I think, if it were me, to avoid any kind of virus in the windows system Id download a linux Live CD (Ubuntu or linux Mint are very user friendly) boot it up off the DVD, and from their hook up the external drives, and go through and pull out all the files you want and put them on USB drive, then reformat the external drives. Then I would use a anti virus program like AVG to scan the USB drives once you hook them up on the windows side just to be sure, and double check the files to make sure they are the ones you want and recognize. The reason for this is if there is a virus on those external drives (and not a windows bug of some sort) it will not affect linux in the least bit and your computer will be safe. now if its a software bug, then it will likely do it again, but if it does it under Linux its most likely not a virus.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 BEK

BEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:17 AM

:thumbsup:

Issue resolved.

Since the problem folder(s) would not delete one by one I sent each folder to the recycle bin and if there was no problem sending it there I then went to the “restore selected items” choice in the recycle bin, restored the folder and moved it to another hard drive, Eventually I was left with only the problem folder on the hard drive, I then reformatted the hard drive completely.

While not the way I would have preferred to take care of the problem it was a way!
Thanks,
Brian
:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users