Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Blue Screen of death (w/ error message),

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 larz27

larz27

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

Probably about 2 or 3 weeks ago I've been getting a couple blue screen of death errors on and off. There is no apparent reason whatsoever. Sometimes I just leave my computer on and come back to a little later, and it says your computer has recovered from a serious error...... A couple times I have been watching youtube videos or simply listening to a song in Windows media player, then the audio will go crazy and the blue screen will appear and my system restarts. My Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5934 was bought during the summer, 2.0 Ghz dual core AMD Turion, 3GB ram, windows 7 updated a month or so ago, I have good anti-spyware, and havent updated any hardware so thats probably not it. Also, all windows updates are installed and such. I really have no idea what it could be and my knowledge of computers is intermediate so I know what I'm doing for the most part.

This is the critical error from the event viewer:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> 
  <EventID>41</EventID> 
  <Version>2</Version> 
  <Level>1</Level> 
  <Task>63</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-12-21T03:34:56.310805500Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>50078</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>Erik-PC</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">209</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x894d5000</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x2</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x8b0ae7f8</Data> 
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data> 
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:17 AM

Did you run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before upgrading to Windows 7. If not you may be having Driver and /or compatibility problems.
Suggest you check your supplier site for your display card's Window 7 drivers (go to Device Manager).
Windows 7 Compatibility center is at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...x?type=Software
Event Viewer may have some info about what is happening to cause these problems.
You could also check Action Center for any issues it may have found.

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

I agree, outdated video drivers very often are the cause of BSOD's. Look here to see if there is a newer video driver, be sure to specify your OS as 32-bit or 64-bit:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663

#4 larz27

larz27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

I agree, outdated video drivers very often are the cause of BSOD's. Look here to see if there is a newer video driver, be sure to specify your OS as 32-bit or 64-bit:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663

Unfortunately those drivers did not help the problem. I was just playing The Godfather 2 on my laptop and the blue screen returned. Is it possible that the power plan Im using could cause the problem. It seems as though that the BSoD only happens when Im on high performance and not when on balanced power plans. Does that make any sense at all?

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

Does that make any sense at all?

Not really, because BSODs are usually caused by driver errors. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any reason the power plan would interfere.

#6 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

Based on the last bit of information you furnished, it sounds to me like your onboard graphics is overheating, thus explaining the BSOD's during high performance use.

You could contact Toshiba and see if they are aware of any known issues with your model. Dell had a problem very similar to this a year or two ago, onboard graphics on certain mobo's were overheating and causing crashes. Dell's solution was to ignore the flaw and replace the bad mobo with an equally bad new mobo.

I am not a gamer therefore unfamiliar with Godfather 2, but it also could be that your laptop is just not equipped to handle the performance requirements of that game. A possible solution would be a separate graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users