Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dwwin.exe is freezing my MSN!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Molson31

Molson31

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:07 PM

This started happening 2 days ago out of the blue. But I have pinpointed the problem, just not sure why it's happening.

Every time I run MSN Live, dwwin.exe starts running, and conversely freezes my MSN as well as almost all other ongoing programs. If I end dwwin.exe in the task manager, MSN unfreezes but logs out of my username and disconnects.

But I can't get it to stop running every time I open MSN. I've done virus scans and hijackedthis, but nothing even looks fishy and I'm virus free. It's just this stupid dwwin!

I've also reinstalled MSN.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:59 AM

This started happening 2 days ago out of the blue. But I have pinpointed the problem, just not sure why it's happening.

Every time I run MSN Live, dwwin.exe starts running, and conversely freezes my MSN as well as almost all other ongoing programs. If I end dwwin.exe in the task manager, MSN unfreezes but logs out of my username and disconnects.

But I can't get it to stop running every time I open MSN. I've done virus scans and hijackedthis, but nothing even looks fishy and I'm virus free. It's just this stupid dwwin!

I've also reinstalled MSN.

FWIW,

dwwin is part of the debugging system that Microsoft uses for error reporting (aka DrWatson). I would suggest that you have some kind of error going on when you open up MSN Live. I recommend that you check the event viewer and look for errors (Red X's) that occur at the time that you open MSN Live...Information about using the Event Viewer is here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

dwwin is not a virus and is a pretty vital component of XP and all Windows based Operating Systems...As you well know disabling it doesn't seem to do much for solving the problem because it isn't the problem...the problem lies elseware...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 21 December 2009 - 01:01 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

I would uninstall...then reinstall MSN Live.

As previously pointed out, thinking that Dr Watson is the problem is probably erroneous..it's function is to alert users that the system has problems that need attention.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users