Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New guy intro!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BEK

BEK

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Hello Everyone,

I arrived at bleepingcomputer via a choice from a list at “highjackthis” (I had stumbled into Highjack this via google searching regarding problems I was having and looking for answers) I selected “Bleepingcomputer” from the list because the name sounded 100% like something I would say, and from looking at how the site is set up and the articles, and all the kind helpful people, I made the right choice.

I am at a point on computers where I want to get beyond the basics. I did not grow up with computers (I’m 53) and all my prior places of employment required at most - basic skills. I want to learn how to, “learn how to” find out what is on the computer, what programs there are, what they do, don’t do etc… also, here’s an understatement for a subject line. I want to learn about “Security” both on the internet and inside the computer.

Currently I reside in Tucson Arizona. I had worked for the U of A, studied Kung Fu, and was getting back into music, (Celtic style figerpicking on acoustic guitar) an industrial accident changed all of that, in summary I am fine, get along well with the help of a cane, and have started a new hobby growing house plants. Tucson has the Nations second lowest humidity levels beat out only by Yuma, Az. which is approximately 3 hours driving time from Tucson, so I am rather enjoying the challenge of getting plants that thrive in higher humidity environments to grow in my apartment.

Additionally I am taking this time to really start learning about computers, currently I am fascinated with software, applications and security. Hardware hasn’t yet overly caught my attention. I would guess because of problems that are associated with software tend to more immediately effect me.

Thanks for all your kindness, looking forward to learning and sharing. I will be going through all the great material. I really appreciate the material from it I will be able to better communicate about computers with you. It’s always frustrating in any situation to know what you want to say, but not have the communication tools to express it. Thanks again for all of your kind and great help.

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

Hello Brian and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 BEK

BEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

I am pitching my tent there!
THX.
BK