Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware:Win32/BHO.A infection and I can't get rid of it

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dilbone56

dilbone56

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

As the title says, I have an infection that my live OneCare keeps popping up showing Adware:Win32/BHO.A. I have used Live OneCare to remove the infection several times, then downloaded Spybot Search & Destroy, and removed it with that, then downloaded and used AdAware. I also used all of these programs in safe mode, and restarted several times. But I cannot get this to go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I have a Dell Laptop with a 1.8GHz Dual Core Processor and 2GB of RAM running Windows XP Professional. Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

Start - > Run -> regsvr32.exe /u %System%\IEHelper.dll

Also Ctrl alt delete and look for

update.exe
update.exew.exe
w.exe

and end them

then
Run your Antivirus Program
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

#3 dilbone56

dilbone56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

thank you for the quick reply, I ran the regsvr32.exe and it said that it failed - the specified module could not be found. Then I went to task manager, and none of those programs exist. But I keep getting the warning from my antivirus.

#4 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

I suggest installing avast and performing an on boot scan which it will ask to do during install , also Live one care was taken of sale in october , i suggest you move on to avast fully

#5 dilbone56

dilbone56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

I will give that a try. Thank you. As far as Live OneCare being taken off sale, yes it has been, but if you have an existing subscription then you will be updated properly until your subscription runs out.

#6 dilbone56

dilbone56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:12 AM

Ok, I have tried avast, and did the boot scan as you recommended. As soon as the scan was over and it booted, the warning came back up with the message again. By the way, one of the files wouldn't allow me to do anything but ignore it during the scan, and I forgot to write it down (stupid me), so I'm wondering if that wouldn't be the problem. So, while I wait for your response, I will restart and try again. (this time I'll write down what the file was.)

#7 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:15 AM

Let me no as soon as poss, this may ne a rootkit that Avast inst capable of removing

#8 dilbone56

dilbone56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

Ok, so I let it scan overnight, and set it to automatically move all files to the chest. As of this morning I still have the issue. I even went into the chest and deleted the files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users