Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 8 - Address Bar searches

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hi,

I seem to have a problem using the address bar to search in IE8.

99% of the time, I use Mozilla Firefox, but occasionally I have to use IE8 (which I don't like doing). In Firefox, when I type something into the address bar, for example "find chuck norris", it usually takes me to the first page that Google would have found if I had gone to Google first and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button. I like this feature because it speeds up my searches, especially if I don't remember the address of a website. Firefox will go straight to it.

This used to also be the case for IE8. However, after coming back home to the country and installing Juno's dial-up software (curses!!), Juno hijacks my address bar searches to use it's own search engine. It goes to search.juno.com

I prefer to use Google and have it take me to the page I was trying to get to, instead of Juno's search engine showing up with irrelevant results.

After fiddling with registry settings, my address bar search in IE8 is completely screwed up. I saw some websites that explained what to edit in the registry to change the address bar search engine, and I had it fixed for a little while. Bing was working for my address bar searches. Not what I wanted, but it was closer than what I had. Then after coming back home again, Juno reset those registry settings with it's own again (I found a file in Juno's Program Files called "regconf" that contains those registry settings. I changed what was in the file and modified the registry, too.)

Now I can't search at all in IE8's address bar.

I'm usually pretty good with registry hacks, but this one has me bumfuzzled. :thumbsup:

Can you give me the specific registry settings that I need to apply to get my address bar search functionality back and use Google for it? And how to keep Juno from changing it everytime it is run?

I want it to do the same as Firefox does when you type something in. It should ask Google what is at the top of the list and go to that website. Try it with "find chuck norris" in your firefox browser and see what happens. lol

Thanks!!

P.S. It's not a malware or trojan. I keep my Anti-virus up to date, scan nightly, keep Windows updated, and update and scan with MalwareBytes once a week. It's just Juno's obnoxious software that wants to hog my internet searches (I have found the registry settings before). Heck, you can't even dial-up using just Windows without the software. If you do it without the software, it requires you to log in using your browser (after giving it your username and password before dialing up!). Annoying!! I've always hated Juno, but I have no choice when I have to use dial-up. *sigh*

Edited by keyboardNinja, 20 December 2009 - 09:09 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

Okay, now I'm pissed off.

Juno has started taking over Firefox's address bar searches, too!! Gah!!

Any quick remedy for this? Please....this is getting annoying.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users