Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer technician

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jt23

jt23

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hello all I am signed up to take a Computer Technician class in February. However I'm not sure what kind of jobs will be available when I am done with this class. I will not have any degree's but just a certificate and the school is accredited with the state of California. What kind of jobs should be available to me with this type of training? a job that I would love to do would be to work in an office helping employees solve their computer problems.

Any info will be appreciated. And listed below are the things I will be learning in this class.

Course Description: Classroom instruction and laboratory experience designed to empower students with a basic understanding of computer hardware and software configuration, programming, maintenance, diagnostic and repair procedures, and techniques

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

JT23,
I first want to say that I think it's good that you have the ambition try out a career in the IT field. Be prepared to spend the rest of your life in some kind of IT related classs . You could not have picked a worst time to break into this carrer field. I am not tyring to discourage you, but with the economy in the state is in DO NOT get discouraged. There are so many unemployed IT workers right now. Keep plugging away. Education of any type is your key. Your best bet is networking, do you know anyone who works for the Great State of California? I have a couple of contacts in the federal system in California. As for pay, you can probably expect to starve to death for the first year or two until you prove your self. I have been working in the IT field for 5 years now and have learned alot, key points are, don't come off like you know everything, if you don't know how to fix it find somebody who does. Don't burn any bridges. Knowledge is not no a power unless you can share it.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:41 AM

personally, with one class? gonna be a rough market. I know computer stores that wont even look at your application without a bachelors degree. Now im not saying that to discourage you, my dad started out in the IT field like 30 years ago, and he actually dropped out of college and now works on AS400 mainframes and has maxed out his pay scale. just like ratchet said, its going to take a lot of hard work and ambition, and a constant education. once you complete this class, sign up for another one. Put your app out at lots of different jobs, keep in mind the competition is likely to be stiff, but make sure theyre jobs you think you can handle. It may mean becoming a PC tech at a local office depot installing peoples hard drives, or a small office building somewhere, and working your way up the ladder from there. You will find as time goes by, and you show people that your willing to learn but are also a good worker whos knowledgeable about what your doing, good high paying jobs will be easier to find. And keep signing up for more classes, That bachelors degree, even if it takes you 10 years to get it, makes a job that much easier, and constantly learning is the best way to stay on top of the game. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users