Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ROOTKIT AND CAN T POWER ON NOTEBOOK

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SHUSSBAR

SHUSSBAR

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

Sorry for the CAPS in the tittle of the post. Noticed it but too late to change.

As mentionned in the description, my notebook got infected with Rootkit.gen.
Not sure if I should expose the problem here? Not very computer savy but i can follow instructions and i am not afraid of asking questions. English is not my first language so please be patient with me.

I am now using my desktop PC to write this.

AVAST antivirus detected the Rootkit on my LENOVO SE10e notebook running Windows XP and advised to send the infected files to the ''chest". We did but it kept reappering. Lot of things were not working anymore (Power supply, Internet access, the mouse, USB ports, other stuff). I checked the Device Manager and notice that lots of devices had an exclamation point in the yellow triangle.

I found that the firewall was disabled and that is probably the way the virus got in :-((

I was told to uninstall the one marked , then reinstalled. it worked for some, the exclam point disapeared.
I was then asked to reboot for changes to take effect and since then, impossible to reboot.
The system starts, I see the Lenovo logo, then it goes OFF after 1 or 2 seconds.
F1, F8. F11 have not effect .

I have tried to unplug , remove the battery, wait, replug. It gave me 4 seconds but still impossible to do anything.

I am really desperate. I feel so useless
Thanks , thanks, thanks for any help you could provide

Edited by SHUSSBAR, 20 December 2009 - 02:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cookmiester

cookmiester

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

God, that one mofo rootkit. When some of the devices got an exclamation mark. It must of destroyed an important computer part. Rendering the computer useless.

#3 SHUSSBAR

SHUSSBAR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

KIND OF SOLVED - Reinstalled fresh XP - Thanks

#4 cookmiester

cookmiester

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

Ah, the drivers must have got reinstalled when you reinstalled XP. Happy computing, and stay safe.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

If you did not reformat prior to the uninstall it may be back..
Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users