Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Vundo and the Browser redirect

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moofin

moofin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hi there,

My computer recently got infected with the Vundo virus and some sort of Browser redirect.. and maybe some sort of backdoor thing (according to my virus scanner).

I think i've alleviated some of the problems but cannot be sure what i've sorted in all honesty. My virus scanner no longer picks up the vundo virus so perhaps I got rid of that. My main concern is if I have a keylogger as I think something is going on in the background due to slow internet speeds at times.

I still have google links redirecting me and its now redirecting other search engines as well. I'm also getting the random popups.

My question is, would it be easier to just format my computer? The problem with this is I would need to backup a lot of my data.. i've already transferred a lot of it to my other harddrive (its a slave drive in my computer) but will this have the virus on it as well? So even if I format by plugging in my slave drive will it just bring the problem back.

I can put up with the redirects for a bit but i'm most worried about the backdoor/keylogging part.

Any advice on what you think is the best way forward would be most appreciated!

edit: I just looked up the virus's on Avira and it has detected TR/Crypt.ZPACK.Gen and I remember AVG picking up the Vundo one and clearing it.

Edited by moofin, 20 December 2009 - 12:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Crypt.ZPACK.Gen (also known as Trojan.Crypt.ZPACK.Gen) is a generic detection means for a parasite that infects computers via security and software exploits. Besides the obvious harm of downloading additional malware onto the computer, Crypt.ZPACK.Gen may also allow an unauthorized user remote access to the system without informed consent. This could lead to the theft of important financial and personal data.
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

#3 moofin

moofin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

Thank you for the quick response. What do you think would be the best course of action then - would it be best to just format the computer? My own worry is how will I backup my data? Will the virus transfer across to other devices when I try to back it up?

#4 MATTSPCHELP

MATTSPCHELP

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

Install Avast Antivirus Allow it to do an on boot scan and get rid of the virus ,
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

#5 moofin

moofin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

Ok thanks, i'm downloading it now. Is it best to remove Avira or do two antivirus programs work ok together?

I don't suppose anyone knows the answer about other memory devices getting infected if I backup my data as I think a fresh install is probably the best way to go as i'd always be wondering about the keylogger/backdoor security.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users