Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cmputer will not keep time.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:21 AM

I built a computer about 7 months ago. All new hardware except for the CD/DVD burner, of which I salvaged from my old system.

The problem I am having is about every week and a half (maybe longer) I get up in the morning, look down at the clock in the system tray to see what time it is, and notice is is always exactly two hours off... This happens just about everyone two weeks or so.

Now, I installed a clean copy of Win7 some time before these symptoms started happening. I didnt install my motherboard drivers after installation because the device manager didnt have any missing drivers, so I thought Win7 probably took care of it. But now Im wondering if the lack of updated drivers might be the culprit.

Another thing that is of importance, is that I recently bought a new computer chassis, and I transferred the board to my new chassis. My room is carpeted, so maybe it got a little ESD shock?

I havent even bothered to buy a new CMOS battery, because to be honest I dont think that is the problem. Its got to be something else, because the motherboard is still new. If it were to be a simple battery replacement and my motherboard was over 5 years old, Id probably throw a new battery in it and see what happened, but unfortunately that is not the case, and that is why I have turned to BleepingComputer for some advice in what to do.

The fact that this only happend once every two weeks, and that it is only off by exactly two hours, is very strange. One thing I thought might have also been linked to this is the fact that when I turn my computer off I always unplug the system from the wall, because I dont trust my 3 year old surge protector. So I was thinking htat maybe the cmos battery was not keeping a charge for that time, and that was the problem.

But it just happened this morning again, and I havent unplugged my system for 2 weeks, however, I did shut it down a few nights ago, but didnt completely unplug it.

Thanks in advance for any help, this is my system build (if it helps):

Motherboard: Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0
CPU: AMD Phenom II x3
GPU: Radeon HD4870
RAM: Crucial Ballistix (2GB)
PSU: X-Power Pro 650: A cheap one, but got good reviews on newegg.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

Time problems on Windows...are generally CMOS battery or wrong time zone settings.

Louis

#3 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Could it be ESD problems? Thats the main thing Im worried about.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

:thumbsup:

You could try a new Battery? Hamluis is right.

Edit, even Brand New ones straight out of the Packet can be Faulty, just like Motherboards, I actually had that happen to me with an Abit one, they replaced the Motherboard.

:flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 20 December 2009 - 01:45 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

CMOS batteries are the least expensive part of a computer. A new is worth trying to see if that resolves your time issue.
If it turns out it isn't the battery, at least you didn't spend a lot on a new one.

#6 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

Ill see about ordering a new battery then. And I think my board has a 2 year warranty so if all else fails Ill just get a replacement... However, I realy dont want to waste that kind of time =(

#7 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

im wit hamluis on that plus the fact that wndows time syncs about every 2 weeks so ifthe timezone is wrong it will do that also there as a bug in vista that did thatso mayb an update for 7 is available

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

You don't have to order one...just visit the local Walmart, Kmart, whatever...anyplace that sells electronic/photo batteries.

Model CR2042.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users