Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gaming rig build please check over.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dragon18007

dragon18007

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi

Im going to be getting a new computer mostly used for gaming, watching movies, music, editing videos (sometimes), internet a bit of everything really.
I was going to wait for the new Gulftown but i believe hardly anything uses the 4 cores so nothing will use 6 for ages .... or am i wrong?

Here is my proposed rig and im hoping that it is future proof with only minor upgrades needed for years to come.

Intel® Coreā„¢i7 Processor Extreme Edition i7-975 (3.33GHz) 6.4GTs/8MB Cache
6GB DOMINATOR GT TRI-DDR3 1866MHz (7-8-7-20)
ASUS® P6T DELUXE V2: DDR3, 2-Way SLI & CrossFireX on Demand
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
2x 80GB Intel® X25-M (34nm) HIGH PERFORMANCE 2.5" SSD (upto 250MB/sR | 70MB/sW)
8x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
2GB ATI RADEONā„¢ HD 5970 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
ASUS XONAR HDAV1.3 - Enjoy 100% Blu-Ray Quality Audio
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
COOLERMASTER HAF 932 FULL TOWER BLACK GAMING PC CASE
1010W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
COOLERMASTER V8 EXTREME CPU COOLER

Ok Now is this a good set up? is there anything that is bottlenecking it?

I was going to get the ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME: DDR3 and the 6GB DOMINATOR GT TRI-DDR3 2000MHz (8-8-8-24) but I thought that was a bit of an overkill as I wouldnt be over clocking it I dont think.
also I picked 2x 80GB Intel® X25-M SSD drives and I take it they are better than 2x 150GB Veloceraptors 10,000rpm? I was gonna use one for installing windows 7/and storage and the other for games and apps i would be using, is that the best way to make sure everything runs fast? or would just one larger capacity SSD be just as good?
any sugestions would be great.

thanks

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 21 December 2009 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

bump
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

1. I don't see the 6GB DOMINATOR GT TRI-DDR3 1866MHz (7-8-7-20) on the P6T DELUXE V2's QVL. Why not pick something from the list?

2. The " ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME: DDR3 and the 6GB DOMINATOR GT TRI-DDR3 2000MHz (8-8-8-24) " combo won't be necessary.

2. How bout one high-performance HDD and one SSD? Just a thought. As far as SSDs go, whether you get one large capacity drive or two smaller ones, doesn't matter.

4. I don't see why you need a 1010W PSU? There are cheaper, more efficient options for your rig.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 21 December 2009 - 03:16 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

Are you going to be building or buying this new PC?. I ask because this looks like a build list from an OEM or builder. Although the Dominator is not on the QVL, you can usually use other RAM so long as it matches the memory standard (DDR3) and speed (1333, 1600, etc.). I also agree with Reviver with all points mentioned. As noted earlier, there are other less expensive and more efficient options on the market in terms of power supplies.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users