Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to de-partition a Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2nd hard drive for my PC, it's 160gb and has two partitions, one 30gb and one 120gb.

I need to de-partition it back just to one 160gb partition but I'm not sure how to do it, will I need to buy/download some software to do this or is there tools within Windows XP that can achieve the same?

Any help and advice would be welcome...

Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

right click My Computer-->Manage, in new window select disk management. delete both partitions. create new partition, then format.
this will also destroy all data on disk, make sure you have saved all your data first.

#3 Samurai_Mo

Samurai_Mo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

partition magic 8 will help you with that

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

I would take a look at http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-parti...g-partition.htm.

To do what you have stated...I would move all files on the smaller partition to the larger...then delete the smaller using the program above...then increase the size of the larger partition to include the unallocated space which you have now created by deleting the smaller partition.

Out of curiosity...why make 1 big partition when two (theoretically) result in safer use of the drive?

Louis

#5 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:04 PM

Thanks a lot everyone for your quick responses.

I used the software at http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-parti...g-partition.htm and it was easy and straight forward to use. I decided to keep two partitions but just increase them so they are of similar size.

Once again thanks and Merry Christmas.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

:flowers:

Little Trick shot for using Windows XP built in stuff.

Set the Disk up as primary and boot into Windows Disk, when it comes up, Delete all Partitions, then set a Partition on the unpartitioned space. Exit after.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users