Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Write Protected Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to use Tag&Rename 3.53 to organize my MP3s on Windows 7, but I am unable to edit some of them because I get the following error:

"Disc is write protected or file is busy by another application."

The only difference I can find between the files that I can edit and those I can't is that if I right click and go to Properties => Security, the second entry under "Group or user names" is "Account Unknown" whereas with files I can edit the entry is "Joe (Joe-PC\Joe)".

Please can someone suggest what I can do to make all my MP3s editable?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

Sounds like you need to take ownership of your files (sounds silly, I know). If you already own the files, you'd think you wouldn't have to take ownership of them! But, sometimes that is the case.

Try this.

You can do it manually by going through the Properties > Securities > Advanced > Owner > Edit > but that registry hack I found will probably do it faster.

Try selecting all your MP3's then do the "right-click take ownership" on all of them at once (to save some clicking). I cannot guarantee it will work, as I have not tried this myself.

If this does not solve your problem, you might have to manually add yourself to the list of Permissions that you saw for each file (let's hope not!).

Let me know if it works.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 windows.user

windows.user

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

I get this error on files when my anti virus software has automatic file protection enabled. It locks files as it scans them on each access and it blocks other applications from accessing the file. This is VERY bad in situations like backup utlities, this can cause corruption in the backup archive as it is created and will cause major corruptions if you restore from the backup with the corrupt files / system.

That is the main issue I personally have experienced any time I get that error. Just turn off active file protection or reduce that feature to not scan / protect files on access and file creation / deletion and that may solve your problem.

Otherwise it could very well be a permissions issue that the application does not have the right permissions to access the file. It depends where the file is located at too, for instance if you have more than one user account and the file is located in another accounts space like the administrator account as an example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users