Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[BEST RAM]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 meanswing

meanswing

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 12:16 AM

What brand is the best for RAM. I need a PC2100 or PC2700 DDR. What specs do i need to look at when im looking for a high performance RAM? Are PNY brand ram any good. need at least 512mb.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:30 AM

Buy ram from one of these three companys:

Crucial

Kingston

Corsair

These are reputable companys that stand behind their products. Also, check out the info on their sites. There's a lot of good info about ram, definitely worth the read.

Edit: A little more info on ram.

There is such a thing as cheap , ninety day , or generic RAM which is actually sold and it does not meet the minimum standards of the JEDEC for use in computers. But it is still sold and un-informed people still buy it.

RAM can generally be divided into a few classes

(Excepting performance or overclockers RAM which is made to the highest tolerances)

Premium or lifetime warranty: The RAM is made from Identical chips , all tested and meeting the assemblers standards , all from the same chip manufacturer and lot. The capacitors and resistors are the highest standard and exceed the JEDEC standard and all are installed on a circuit board which is thicker than required . The final product is tested to confirm that it is stable at the rated speed.

One year warranty: Very close, but may include memory chips from different batches although still the same manufacturer. The circuit board tends to be at least one ply thinner and the resistors and capacitors may have more variance. These still meet the JEDEC standards, and are tested to make sure they are stable at the specified speed.

OEM: These are intended for sale to a manufacturer, not for resale, although they often are sold retail. Often if you buy two sticks, you will find that they have memory chips from different manufacturers. They still meet standards (the chips are certified to meet the manufacturers specifications) , but are often yet another ply thinner, and once again may have more variance in the tolerance of resistors and capacitors and may use fewer than on higher quality RAM.

Generic or 90 day RAM: This is the lowest quality you will generally encounter. Often these are made of leftover chips, ones salvaged from returned and failed RAM , RAM designed to run at a higher speed which failed and became unstable. And they are put on really thin boards which do not meet the JEDEC standard and they rarely have even the minimum number and quality of resistors and capacitors recommended by the JEDEC .

Also, if you touch the RAM anywhere except the edges, you should know that the oils and salts in your skin are corrosive and will eventually damage the ram. And if you touch it without observing anti-static precautions you can cause damage which may show up immediately or somewhere down the line.

This is why I always reccomend that you spend the extra money to buy Quality NAME BRAND RAM with a lifetime warranty. I also prefer to buy all RAM at one time when possible and at a minimum make sure it has identical specifications (easiest method, make sure it is same manufacturer and model).

I hope this info helps you out some.

Edited by tg1911, 18 September 2004 - 10:12 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 18 September 2004 - 10:45 AM

I cant add much to what is posted above but I would suggest getting ram at:
www.newegg.com
or
www.ebay.com

That is after you know what ram your getting!
Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users